We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in South Africa

Dublin
1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon in South Africa

Hi everyone,

Im getting married October 2011 and we are planning on spending our honeymoon in South Africa. Its a place where we have heard so much about and somewhere we always wanted to visit. Im looking for some help with where we should visit to make it a memorable time.

We are going to spend 2 to 3 weeks there. We are open to suggestions on where to go but would like to get a saffrai along the way. We are not into the beach scene but more exploring and looking for great views. We would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in South Africa

Hi - SA is a great honeymoon venue. Have a look at some of my posts and reviews - we were on safari and have travelled to a number of parts over the past few years.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in South Africa

If I were you, I would split my time between Cape Town, the Garden Route (overnighting in Hermanus and Oudtshoorn on the way) and finishing off at one of the private game lodges close to the Kruger.

If you have the budget, maybe do two different safari lodges, one in the eastern cape and one close to Kruger. This way you will have two very different safari experiences. I think the best game viewing experience is to be had in the Sabi Sands game reserve but the Eastern Cape is beautiful and it is an easy drive from the garden route.

Have a look at the forum posts on these areas and you will get a good idea of what they are like.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in South Africa

With as much as 3 weeks for your trip, you can create an itinerary where you do some of the driving and just explore. If by "great views", you are thinking of vistas, then the Drakensberg mountains would fit into some self-driving time, Lots of good outdoor activities there, too.

Great views all around Cape Town and the nearby Winelands, of course. The coastline, the amazing panorama from Table Mountain - and the views of a different sort: the great restaurants, the harbor cruises, the hop-on hop-bus, good accommodations at every price point.

Speaking of safaris, by October, most safari camps and lodges have High season rates, This group of properties, one of the best, does have Low season rates at many lodges through October 10 - www.andbeyondafrica.com - which could save you some serious money if you get into South Africa in time to start at one of their camps during those first 10 days.

Having said that - yes! - do make time for wildlife, maybe at a couple of different places if the budget will bear it. And there are certainly good safari camps at all the price points, too.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

4. Re: Honeymoon in South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 06:18