We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa safari end of May 2011

Sussex
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
South Africa safari end of May 2011

I am getting married on the 20th May 2011 and we are currently trying to plan our honeymoon. Ideally we would like to start with a 4 day safari in South Africa ... could anyone tell me if the end of May is a good time to go and also if you know of Gorah Elephant Camp or Jock Safari Lodge and what do you think of them ...?!?! We are hoping for a little bit of luxury, great food and fantastic drives :-) Thanks xx

kent
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa safari end of May 2011

South Africa is an awesome place to honeymoon but rather big!! It all depends where you want to stay the rest of your time, I am from Cape Town living in kent lol so I would always vote for Cape Town as you can Safari and spend time on the beach during the same Holiday and travelling wont take up most of your holiday. There is an awesome Private Game Reserve only 2 and 1/2hr out side Cape Town called Aquila I have friends and Family that have stayed there and they loved every minute. They have luxury accomodation and the BIG FIVE, you could google them for the web add.

May is a great time to go over that's if your going to Cape town as it's a month away from winter and it wont be scorching hot 19-25degrees on average and you wont have any rain yet!

Any way GOOD LUCK with the wedding

Edited: 25 June 2010, 11:29
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa safari end of May 2011

A word of caution, the "game reserves" near Cape Town, like Aquila, Inverdoon etc are nothing, absolutely nothing like Kruger NP, the surrounding private game reserves or the reserves of the Eastern Cape.

Yes there are animals, I am a bit out of date but last I heard Aquila had "doubled" there number of elephants to TWO ! The lions are kept in a seperate enclosure. It is certainly much better than a zoo and could be a pleasant day out from Cape Town but way below the experience you would get from reserves where the animals really are wild and live a natural life.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,311 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa safari end of May 2011

Mr Somersetal I do agree the Kruger and samwari are the best and you seem to be an expert on game reserves. But I was'nt only thinking of the 4 days emmakaren82 wants to spend on the reserve but of the rest of her lovely HONYMOON too. Coming from someone that also lives in the UK I did'nt think she would enjoy spending much time in Jo'burg or the windy city of P.E as I have lived there for 2 years and found it extreamly boring and way to windy.

But that depends really how much money and time your pre paird to spend

on travelling.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa safari end of May 2011

I think we need more info. How much time do you intend staying in SA and what , apart from the safari, do you intend doing on honeymoon, beach, sight seeing, history, culture, wine farms, to name but a few things?

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,413 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa safari end of May 2011

I like to start honeymoon itineraries with a stay at one of the camps that offer Low season rates in May. And also offer a free night. I had two sets of honeymooners do that just last month. Which camps? The AndBeyond camps in Sabi Sand, Timbavati, and Kwandwe reserves. www.andbeyondafrica.com. Any agent can arrange this for you, but look first on the web site to see what the published rates are so you can be sure that you are getting full benefit of the Low season rates and free night offer.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 27 June 2010, 17:45
6. Re: South Africa safari end of May 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 05:18