We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary help

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary help

I have set up the following itinerary but would appreciate suggestion if amount of time i have chosen in each location seems appropriate. also would love to book as we go on garden route as concerned we may have too much time but concerned about reservations in january. 4 nights cape town, 4 nights garden route, 3 nights addo, 1 night graff-reinet, 2 nights oudtshoorn, 2 nights franschhoek.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary help

Instead of 2 nights in Oudtshoorn I would rather stay one night in Knysna or Wildernis. Otherwise intinerary is quite good worked out.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary help

i don't like the order of your itinerary. it does not make sense to go all the way back to franschhoek. franschhoek is only 90 minutes from cape town. also, knysna (as mentioned) is beautiful in january.

try this:

cape town x 4

drive to franschhoek x 2 (90 min)

drive to hermanus x 1 (90 min)

drive to knysna x 4 (3 hour drive) do a side trip to oudtshoorn/j-bay, etc

drive to graff-reinet x 1 (my sister lives in town and has a farm outside of town). i have only seen one question about GR in two years on trip advisor!

drive to addo x 3 (2.5 hours)

drive to Port Elizabeth (1.1 hour). fly to jnb. fly home.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary help

I think your itinerary is fine. I'm assuming your plan is to do a round trip - Cape Town to Addo via the N2 highway - stopping for 4 nights to break up your journey (in Knysna for 2 nights at least). And then back from Oudtshoorn via the R62 to Franshoek, and then going to the airport from there.

reading
Level Contributor
132 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary help

yes hatter08 that is our plan. we are doing a round trip and want to come back a different route then the route we take on the coastal garden route. we are ending in franschhoek as we have an evening flight and this way we are close enough to the airport but still can make the most of the day. we have a total of 16 nights and in addition to two nights in oudtshoorn we have 4 more nights to spend on the coastal garden route and have considered mossell bay, knysna, wilderness or storms river as stopping points. we are thinking about graaff-reinet to explore valley of desolution amd possibly mountain zebra n.p. Was concerned that 4 nights on coastal road may be too much.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary help

I don't think 4 nights on the garden route is too much. You could easily spend 2 nights in Knysna and 2 nights somewhere closer to Addo like Storms River. Or increase Knysna to 3 nights, doing day trips to see the area, which would free up 1 night for something else (like if you do decide to visit the Mountain Zebra National park, it would make sense to spend 2 nights in that area).

6. Re: itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 05:18