We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed itinerary

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Proposed itinerary

I am going to South Africa with my family in August 2010 (two adults and two small children (one year old and four years old).

We have now finally decided our itinerary:

- Whale Coast (Grootbos Garden Lodge) (five nights)

- Franschhoek (Le Quartier Francais) (four nights)

- Kalahari (Tswalu) (four nights)

- Cape Town (Mount Nelson) (four nights)

One of the goals have been to minimize transportation time which we believe we have achieved (among other things by flying into Tswalu from directly from Cape Town).

While we are generally pretty comfortable with this game plan and have already sought separate advise with respect to accommodation in Cape Town, our only question mark is whether four nights are too long time to spend in the Wine Lands. However, as we see this as a break from some of the more remote locations, we believe that it could work.

Please let me know any comments to the itinerary (including possible improvements).

Ilios Travel
Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Skaris Touring
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Transfer You Shuttle & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed itinerary

I have a couple of comments:

Although i really love Grootbos, in my opinion, 5 nights there is too much especially with young children. The same goes for Franschoek.

Maybe consider either extending your time in Cape Town or adding something else to your itinerary. You may wish to look at Bushmans Kloof or Sanbona both of which are about three hours drive from Cape Town.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed itinerary

I agree - there isn't much to get up to in Franshoek apart from Wine tasting and eating out. Two nights there is enough.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed itinerary

Keep in mind also that August is winter time, and in the Cape region where you will spend most of your time this is also the rainy season, so expect cold, wet and windy weather, at least on some days. If you want to avoid this, you will need to possibly look at destinations further away from Cape Town. Is this your first trip to South Africa? If so, it may be an option to look at game reserves further afield which will offer some exciting game viewing options. On of the most child-friendly game lodges in the malaria-free Addo National Park, is Riverbend Lodge. (Incidentally, the new assistant manager there, Stefanie, comes from Grootbos before moving to Addo). It would take a short flight from Cape Town to PE to be able to include this (or an 8 hour drive which I'm sure you would like to avoid). Another great malaria free reserve is Madikwe, where the game viewing is also excellent and there is a great selection of safari lodges. Bit of effort to get there, but you will certainly have more pleasant weather there than in Cape Town and surrounds. Just a thought.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed itinerary

Your accommodation choices are really top end. I have been to Tswalu with a 2 year old and can't recommend it more highly - it was both luxurious and child friendly. You will also escape the rain at Tswalu.

I'm agree that 4 nights in Franschoek may be a bit much, particularly as I'm not sure how child friendly Le Quartier Francais is. The Auberge is not as highly rated as the restaurant - and I understand is not under the same management.

I'd suggest more time in Cape Town itself, with the huge variety of things to do, and less time in Franschoek. And perhaps you should confirm the child friendliness of the accommodation.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed itinerary

I'd also agree that your time at Grootbos and Franschhoek looks a bit on the lengthy side.

the Mount Nelson is a lovely hotel and very child friendly - I've had many a Sunday lunch there :)

And Tswalu is definitely on my list for the next time we go to SA! Hope you psot a review afterwards!

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed itinerary

Thank you very much for the comments.

Among other things based on your input, we have slightly changed the itinerary, primarily to allow for more time in Cape Town:

- Whale Coast (Grootbos) (five nights)

- Cape Town (Mount Nelson) (four nights)

- Kalahari (Tswalu) (four nights)

- Cape Town (12 Apostles Hotel) (four nights)

Instead of staying in Franschoek, we will now do a full day tour to the Wine Lands from our base in Cape Town.

Moreover, the intention is to do the Cape Peninsula, Kirstenbosch Botanic Garden etc. from our base at the 12 Apostles Hotel.

I know that the weather is not perfect in August (if perfect means hot and sunny weather) but after having grown up in Scandinavia I am used to rainy and windy weather.

I am not concerned about the five days at Grootbos as the children will need some time to settle down after the long haul flight from Europe.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed itinerary

I don't believe that you will be disappointed - it will be an amazing holiday I'm sure. Enjoy!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed itinerary

Sounds good. One minor point. I would plan to visit Kirstenbosch while you are at the Mount Nelson rather than the 12 Apostles. It might look closer on the map, but there is unfortunately a sheer 1,000 metre mountain in the way! To get to Kirstenbosch you need to drive back through the city or all the way down to Hout Bay and back along the other side of the mountain. The Mount Nelson is much closer. Also the past few years the road from Camps Bay to the 12 Apostles sometimes gets flooded in heavy winter rain and you need to drive down through Hout Bay to get anywhere.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed itinerary

BTW If you are interested in flora, and are coming in August, I would definitely suggest a day's drive up the West Coast to see the spectacular natural displays of Spring Flowers. These bloom most years from mid August into September (depends on the rain during the winter). The best place close to Cape Town is the Postberg Reserve in the West Coast National Park. This is about an hour's drive north from the city. The Flower reserve is only open in August and September and for a day out can be combined with places like Paternoster or the Darling Wine area.

See : tripadvisor.com/…19574961 and follow the links.

10. Re: Proposed itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 08:43