We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should we stay?

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
How long should we stay?

We have a total of 3 weeks to spend in SA. We like to travel on the slow side but want to make sure we are not going too slow. We are thinking of sending 2-3 nights in Sabi and then 2 nights each in Talmati, Satara and Lower Sabie in Kruger. We will then head to Addo for 2-3 nights. Then spend 4 nights doing the garden route and 2 nights in the Cape Town area. Are we allowing too much time for each of these?

We will have 3 nights between Kruger and Addo and are looking for suggestions. We are seasoned travelers with 2 young teens who like off the beaten path experiences, I think we will have had our fill of wild life so will be looking to fill these 3 days with something else.

Mentioned in this post
Sabie
Sabie
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Addo
Addo
Sundays River Valley, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,122 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long should we stay?

I think 2 days in Cape Town is far too short. There is sooooo much to see and do there.

Plus all the surrounding region - Winelands, Cedarberg Mountains, whale-watching, Robben Island etc.

Edited: 01 August 2010, 11:40
Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Robben Island
Robben Island
6,919 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long should we stay?

Got to agree with peter , 2 days is way too short to spend in cape town,I would trim some time of your kruger visit to spend more time in CT.

Also for your time in between kruger and addo I would consider visiting the battlefields in kwazululand which I found to be spectaculer.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long should we stay?

There is plenty to do in the Kwazulu Natal Region so perhaps you should look at spending some of your time in this part of the world, The beautiful Drakensberg Mountains http://www.places.co.za/html/5260.html, ST Lucia / Kosi Bay for snorkelling and diving, turtle tracking (seasonal) whale watching (seasonal) so much to see and do in this region. Most people drive thro Swaziland to Kwazulu natal from Kruger and spend some time in the bush in this area http://stlucia.org.za/

sa-venues.com/game-reserves/kzn_kosibay.htm.

beach, bush, berg and battlefields.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Mentioned in this post
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Drakensberg Mountains
Drakensberg Mountains
159 Reviews
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
St Lucia
St Lucia
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long should we stay?

A bit much wildlife for the time you have for my liking.

If i calculate correctly you plan 6 nights inside KNP. I am not sure what you mean with Sabi. The private game reserve or the village? Assuming you mean Sabie as the village and as you are travelling with teens, I would rather recommend Hazyview with lots of activities (besides the obvious Blyde River Canyon) for them. Abseiling, aerial cable trail, quad biking, river rafting, elephant sanctuary, reptile park etc etc etc, as well as a good number of nice restaurants.

Having spend the time in a national Park, maybe skip Addo and spend those days in CT and surrounding. Teens also want nightlife, nowhere better than CT.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 01 August 2010, 20:22
Mentioned in this post
Sabie
Sabie
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Blyde River Canyon Lodge
Blyde River Canyon Lodge
268 Reviews
Hoedspruit, South Africa
Addo
Addo
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long should we stay?

As Klaus says miss out Addo, or at the most one night to see the Elephant herds. After 6 nights in Kruger, 3 nights in Addo would be an anti climax.

Drive down through Swaziland (different cultural experience) down to Durban. Then fly to Port Elizabeth.

You now have 5 nights in the Cape Town region which as the others say is the absolute minimum on a three week first time trip.

Mentioned in this post
Addo
Addo
Durban
Durban
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long should we stay?

For what it is worth I would also have suggested to skip Addo.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Mentioned in this post
Addo
Addo
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long should we stay?

Thanks to all. Clearly you all agree I need more time in Cape Town, I will adjust accordingly. I think I will cut Addo to one day or out all together if the logistics dont work out. I will be back with more questions in a few months. I wanted to work out the National Park stuff way in advance as i hear the prime lodging goes quickly.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Addo
Addo
durban
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long should we stay?

I agree about Sabi - there is more to do in Hazyview and some lovely places to stay at - ie Sabi Sun, Ngwenya Lodge.. What month is the trip planned for as weather would have a lot to do with where I go if I were travelling in SA. I would definitely plan a few days to Durban to a Beach Resort as this will be a nice mix after the bush and I think the teenagers will love the vibe in Durban. If you stay in Umhlanga you can walk to restaurants and the nightlife is great. I wouldnt rush to the battlefields - teenagers may be a bit bored. Durban weather is good all year round so depending in time of year I would plan more time in Durban if its winter or more time in Cape Town if its summer.

Mentioned in this post
Hazyview
Hazyview
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Ngwenya Lodge
Ngwenya Lodge
498 Reviews
Komatipoort, South Africa
Durban
Durban
Cape Town
Cape Town
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
794 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long should we stay?

We will be traveling in August, so winter. Beach is great, but not the primary focus of this trip. Seeing wildlife and experiencing a different culture are higher up on the list. My kids really like this stuff and are on the very young end of the teen years. We can do the more typical teen things at home.

Sabi will be at a private game reserve prior to spending our time in the national park.

Edited: 02 August 2010, 19:44
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long should we stay?

That makes it 9 days game drives. 3 in Sabi Sands and 6 in KNP?!?! Plus a possible Addo visit.

Sorry, but a bit of an overkill IMHO.

What about the area around KNP, Blyde River Canyon, the 3rd biggest Canyon in the world and the biggest green canyon, with God's Window, The Pinnacle, The 3 Rondavels, Bourcke's Luck Potholes, numerous waterfalls and all the activity as mentioned above.

We love the bush and go as often as possible but 9 days would be a bit much for us. Also, there is soooo much to see in the surrounding that you should not miss out on. I also believe that the teens will get bored at one stage, sonner or later.

If you plan to return with the teens to see the rest, then ok, if you want to give them a good impression of the diversity of South Africa, cut the wildlife a bit shorter and take some time to explore the rest.

I hope I dont confuse you!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Mentioned in this post
Addo
Addo
Blyde River Canyon Lodge
Blyde River Canyon Lodge
268 Reviews
Hoedspruit, South Africa