We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe or Kwandwe

Indiana
Level Contributor
814 posts
443 reviews
Save Topic
Madikwe or Kwandwe

I realize this is not a new topic, but I need updated opinions. Ignore lodges or the quality of service and staff. Based strictly on the quality and quantity of Game, which reserve is better, Madikwe or Kwandwe? If you have been to both, I am very interested in your opinion.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Madikwe or Kwandwe

I have not been to Kwandwe (though i have heard it is great) but i had some of the best sighting of my life at Madikwe (wild dog and black Rhino included) and really love the reserve.

One other thing i like about Madikwe is that it is run as a partnership between the Parks board, private business and the local community which i think is very important.

Mark September

Small World Tours

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madikwe or Kwandwe

Quality and quantity of game, as well as size of reserve and variety of lodges, Madikwe is better.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madikwe or Kwandwe

I have been to both .... Kwandwe is 25,000 hectares, run by AndBeyond (so exceptional standards of accommodation, service, food). It is one of the largest reserves of the Eastern Cape (Shamwari is the same size), so the game viewing is very good - we saw all the Big 5 apart from leopard, and we were also lucky enough to see wild dog, as a reserve this size gives them the territory they require to roam and hunt (tho I am not 100% sure if they STILL have wild dog here .... I have a sinking feeling not but I stand to be corrected ...). The vegetation in the Eastern Cape is not however what you may typically think of for a safari destination - the reserves are not dusty landscapes, rather they are green plains / rolling hills.

Madikwe is 76,000 hectares, and also has wild dog - because I saw them there too - and I know for a fact they are still there !! Vegetation wise, it is more open plains and scrubby acacia trees. Wildlife viewing extremely good.

I imagine you are looking at Madikwe Safari Lodge here (also run by AndBeyond) ? Excellent lodge, cannot fault it at all.

My final choice ... I would go Madikwe.

4. Re: Madikwe or Kwandwe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2011, 06:20