We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does any one have information about this dive company?

Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
Save Topic
Does any one have information about this dive company?

Hello All,

I recently sent a inquiry to Blue Vision Dive Centre(http://www.bluevision.co.za/index.htm), and in a reply the company replied that "To confirm the booking we would need credit card details. " Is this normal protocol for this company? If you are in the area or have dealt with this company I would like to know that it is safe to do this before I proceed.

Thank you for your help!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

To confirm the booking you apparently will have to pay in advance. That is certainly common.

As for this specific company, maybe someone will offer a bit of reassurance - or advise you against it!

London Ontario
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

Never heard of that Company in my research but the one we're using didn't ask for any money until we get there!

Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

Thanks for the advice Dave. SGB, what dive company are you using and what will be the location?

London Ontario
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

We are going with Shark Diving Unlimited out of Gansbaai. Only two more weeks and I'll be in a cage with sharks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

I always also recommend Shark Diving Unlimited .... Most companies will take credit card details to hold the booking, that is not uncommon practice. But if you are concerned about it, then maybe go with another operator who has been recommended.

Johannesburg
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

I would be a bit cautious as you only request detail when confirmed not with an enquiry.

I can check this and find out for you.

Regards

Hester

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

Don't think the OP is talking about Shark Cage Diving but open water PADI scuba diving. The operator they are talking about is on the KZN coast.

But then, as Dave says, many places in the travel industry require CC details to confirm bookings. Car Hire, accommodation, tour operators - even some restaurants. In South Africa and around the world.

You should check whether their policy is to take the full payment at confirmation, take a deposit (what are the arrangements for the balance) or simply use your CC as a guarantee that you will take up the booking and not leave them with an unpaid trip they can't sell at the last minute.

The advantage, anywhere, of using a CC is that the card issuer will guarantee the payment that you have made. If there is a problem with the operator you will be reimbursed (within the normal conditions of your card issuer).

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

Vdc you are correct in that he is going to be diving Aliwal Shoal in Kwazulu Natal, not Cage Diving in the Cape, and that is why SGB hasn't heard of Blue Vision in his research.

Different region, different dive altogther. As people have said, not uncommon to book via credit card.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

I have just got off the phone from Vegard from Blue Vision and he is prepared for you to make the booking and pay on arrival.

Unfortunately they do take a knock when people book and don't arrive but he is prepared to accept the booking on good faith.

Good luck and enjoy.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

London Ontario
Level Contributor
611 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does any one have information about this dive company?

Sorry about that shakey144! Just assumed (wrongly) that it was shark cage diving!