We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly Question for African Experts

Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Silly Question for African Experts

Hello,

My fiance and I have been backpacking through Asia and Australia for 3 years now, and we have our eyes set on Africa next.

Im sure this is a stupid question, so forgive my ignorance please, but I am curious about how easy and safe Africa is to travel without a Safari trip booked.

We have looked at numerous safari's from Cape Town to Kenya or Cairo, but we really hate tours, and have always done things ourselves in our travels. These Safari trips, as amazing as they look, seem extremely expensive.

I guess my main question, is can a couple travel Africa safely and easily and avoid the major tour companies? Or, is it best to choose a reputable safari company for the entire tour?

Apologies for asking a question that has probably been asked a million times, and thanking you in advance for any information you can provide.

CanadaLance

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,679 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly Question for African Experts

Hi,

"Safari" just means journey. Would you have a journey in Asia and Australia? Well, you can have one in Africa.

DO you normally book with a tour operator? It doesn't sound like it, and there is no need to use one in African countries.

You can, if you wish (and do some research, simply book flights, car hire, and accommodation or travel round by public transport, depending on which of the 54 countries you choose to visit. Some are easier than others to get around in.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly Question for African Experts

Not sure about other countries, but certainly in Sa you can do your own Safaris in our national Parks, Kruger, Hluhluwe/Mfolozi, Mkuze, Addo National Park, Pilanesberg. They are all in different regions so best to start looking up the regions and then deciding which areas you want to go to. Kruger is in Mpumulanga and has the beautiful Panorama Route, Hluhluwe/Mfolozi is in Kwazulu natal and has the World Heritage Isimangaliso St lucia Wetland Lakes and is the heart of Zululand access from Kruger is thro Swaziland to get to this area of Kwazulu Natal (what an adventure) also on the coastline of the East Coast of SA with the warm Indian Ocean.

Addo is in the Eastern Cape and is the start of the Garden Route.

start your research now.

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/

http://www.kznwildlife.com/

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Sandton, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly Question for African Experts

I have visited Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya, Egypt Swaziland and Lesotho (and SA of course) and in those countries it's certainly possible to travel independently. Can't speak for the other countries in this vast (and I mean, vast) and diverse continent. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do it in those countries, though. Most today have reasonably well developed tourist infrastructure - just avoid the obvious places like Somalia!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly Question for African Experts

Just did an overland tour thru south africa, swaziland,and mozambqiue, google overland tours they are very inexpensive, if i was do have done it myself hiring a car, paying camp fees, not having local experts that speak the language to deal with police stops, etc, the price would have been 4 times what i paid. try a camping tour i highly reccommend it, i did nomad's 14 day discover mozambique.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly Question for African Experts

other things to consider South Africa borders lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique , so Southern Africa will keep you going for a while.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Edited: 26 August 2010, 05:54
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
294 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly Question for African Experts

my friends travelled over a lot of africa and did it on their own.

check out their blog

http://www.travelpod.com/members/brockandlisa

7. Re: Silly Question for African Experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 06:16