We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

Manahawkin, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

Hi - we're planning a trip to South Africa in late Aug, 2011. For the safari part of the trip we're leaning to the Sabi Sand area for 3-4 days. Priorities in lodges - game viewing,6 in a jeep, all inclusive and amenities. Dulini & Little Bush are in our price range but we are open to others with the same criteria. The &Beyond deal of pay 3 and get 4 would be nice but their website doesn't show this special for Aug. 2011. So - #1 would 1 being in the west (Dulini) and 1 in the south (Little Bush) (nearer civilization) have an impact on quality game sighting? #2 - would 1 have a better chance of seeing BOTH leopard and cheetah.

If we can "swing" going to Phinda for the cheetahs than would Rock Lodge in the south or Vlei in the north make a difference.

We do have extra time in JNB and were thinking of a day trip to the DeWildt/Shingwedzi Cheetah Ranch. Would you recommend them? We know it's not the wild but it sounds interesting.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JC and Kathy

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,682 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

Dulini absolutely WILL have the 4-for-3 for all of 2011. AndBeyond has changed their Signature Safari guidelines and included the entire year, all South Africa properties, with the 4-for-3. What went away was the even better deal, the 3-for-2, that did apply certain days of the week at a couple of locations.

Maybe you have seen this web site - andbeyondafrica.com/luxury_safari/…wildlife - which has wildlife reports by the Dulini Rangers. Might be worth reading through it to see what they say about cheetah sightings. And if you haven't seen it, here's a video I shot of the property - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBBIpG4bQfc

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

I agree with Dave that you will be able to get the Pay 3, Stay 4 Dulini special deal in August 2011, and yes, it certainly does make for a very attractive package at a very special lodge! The game viewing on the Sabi Sabi property is also very good, and Little Bush game viewing vehicles conduct their drives on the whole SS property, which also goes further away from the boundary. To see both cheetah and leopard in the Sabi Sands, would be a matter of whether you have good luck while you are on your safari!

As for Phinda - their lodges can all traverse over the whole of the reserve. If for instance you stay at Vlei (in my opinion a more beautiful lodge than Rock), and you are really keen to view cheetah and they happen to have cheetah sightings in the South, then your ranger will drive to that section of the reserve so that you can get to see your cheetah! Just be sure to give him your "wildlife wishlist" on day 1 already!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

3. Re: Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2010, 13:17
Manahawkin, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

Thank you all for your imput, it was very helpful. I think Dulini will be the choice with the pay 3 get 4. I'll look for it. We should start our bookings in a couple off mounths when we can get Air. Hopefully it will show up then. It still doesn't show on their web site.

My wife felt that Vlei looked the nicest and your confirmation and traverse description help. We are trying to squeeze Phinda in but we may not be able to as we are also planning Vic. Falls & Cape Town.

The De Wildt Ranch is kind of a back up for us as we may have one extra day into or out of J N B We will heed your advice about the weekend.

One more question please. Tanya or others - If we try for Phinda it will be right after Dulini. On another post you told someone that a charter flight could be had between the two reserves to save time. Could you give me an idea of the cost of a flight from Dulini or Nelspruit to Phinda? I think going trough Durban would miss the afternoon game drive.

Thanks Again J C

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

The price on that flight is R5800 per person one way!!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Manahawkin, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

Thanks Tanya, That is expensive, but, good to know. Logistics may require it, if we can squeeze Phinda in.

7. Re: Dulini or Sabi Sabi, Little Bush

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2011, 05:18