We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar before or after safari then Cape Town

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Zanzibar before or after safari then Cape Town

Hi It's hard to know which forum to put this question but let's see how I go here.

We have decided to head to Cape Town following a safari around the Serengeti. My question is should we extend our trip in Tanzania to include Zanzibar? We're not looking for a relaxing beach holiday, but just wondering if it is a must see, considering we will be so close. We are in our 50s and we could fit a day or so in before or after our Safari. Or should we just head on down to Cape Town and spend that extra day or so there? Thanks for any opinions you may have. GBLyn

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zanzibar before or after safari then Cape Town

If you aren't looking for a beach destination then the only other thing worth visiting Zanzibar for is the original stone town and spice market with it's beautiful doorways and winding alleys. Worth it, not sure, it depends on you really and how soon you will be back in Africa. Of course my CT relatives will say that an extra day in Ct is a must. I probably haven't helped you very much, lets see what others have to say.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zanzibar before or after safari then Cape Town

Thank you - that does help. I don't think we will get back to Africa (although that's probably a bit pre-emptive) but we still have a lot of the world to see, and not getting any younger. I always try to squeeze as much in as possible, but after our last holiday, made the statement that next time we would do less flying/airports. So I was thinking how best to spend a day or two before the safari - options would seem to be Joburg (reviews aren't that inviting), Zanzibar (50/50) or Moshi (not sure what is around there)?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,285 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zanzibar before or after safari then Cape Town

Zanzibar was included in our Tanzania itineraries specifically because of the historic part of the island. A visit to Stone Town is like stepping back in time. We never sent clients to the beaches. A spice tour, yes. Pretty interesting. But it is the sense that you are seeing what life was like for hundreds of years that we found valuable.

Having said that - it IS a hassle. Unless you do some research to have an idea of what the couple of days would offer you - and then decide 'yes, let's do it', I would not go. As for Moshi - nothing there to interest you in my opinion.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zanzibar before or after safari then Cape Town

Thank you bwanadave - so I'm thinking now - reduce the start of our holiday by a day or 2 and add to the end in Cape Town and surrounds? Unless anyone has any other suggestions?? Cheers BLyn

5. Re: Zanzibar before or after safari then Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 05:17