We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vredefort crater

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Vredefort crater

I read that the vredefort crater was the largest confirmed in the world. It has a diameter of between 250 - 300 km based on what wikipedia said.

Based on those dimensions, I think I actually drove through part of the crater when I went from the Johannasberg International Airport to Inyati.

Am I right? I didn't go to the crater though. Did I miss much (friend of mine is now thinking about visiting after I raved about SA and was curious about this)?

Thanks.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vredefort crater

Hi Heehee,

The centre of the crater is located about 150kms south of Johannesburg, and if you headed out to Inyati near Kruger, it's unlikely that you would have seen any of it (although you may be talking about another Inyati).

If you check out Google Earth, you'll be able to see the deformation zones quite clearly, mostly around the town of Parys and a little westwards. They form a band of concentric arcs, about 20km wide and about 50km from the impact point.

The impact crater is so large and so eroded that it's very difficult to recognise it as such. It's believed that the meteorite, about 10km in diam, hit the Earth about 2020 million years ago.

On the way to Kruger, you would have descended the Eastern Escarpment, which is the eroded tear line formed when the continents broke apart, a far more recent geological event.

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vredefort crater

Darn. Would have been cool if I had visited the largest crater in the world and just not realized it. Oh well, sounds like its not too visible anyway. The eastern escarpment sounds interesting though I don't remember any noticiable difference in terrain either from that. Guess these sorts of things can't be seen/felt easily from the ground level.

Thanks for the info.

Edited: 15 September 2010, 00:28
3. Re: Vredefort crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 04:18