We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some opinions please

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Some opinions please

I am posting this in the S Africa forum as I think this is where I can get most replies. First of all, this is my planned itinerary for 2011 (I am writing the place where we will be sleeping on that day) :

20 Apr Arrive Livingstone at 12.45 and go to Vic Falls

21 Apr Vic Falls

22 Apr Vic Falls / Zambezi Queen

23 Apr Zambezi Queen

24 Apr Zambezi Queen

25 Apr Zambezi Queen - Travel to Cape town - arrive 21.35

26 Apr Cape Town

27 Apr Cape Town

28 Apr Cape Town

29 Apr Cape Town

30 Apr Stellenbosch

1 May Stellenbosch

2 May Hermanus

3 May Hermanus

4 May Oudtshoorn

5 May Knysna

6 May Knysna

7 May Travel to PE - flight to Durban - arrive 13.25

8 May Durban

9 May Phinda

10 May Phinda

11 May Swaziland

12 May Kruger - Lower Sabie

13 May Kruger - Lower Sabie

14 May Kruger - Olifant

15 May Ngala

16 May Ngala

17 May Hazyview

18 May Hazyview

19 May Hazyview

20 May Travel to Joh - Flight to Windhoek - arrive 13.00

21 May Frans Indongo Lodge

22 May Onguma Tree Top Camp

23 May Onguma Tree Top Camp

24 May Halali

25 May Okaukuejo

26 May Okaukuejo

27 May Opuwo

28 May Opuwo

29 May Damaraland

30 May Damaraland

31 May Swakopmund

1 June Swakopmund

2 June Sossuvlei

3 June Sossuvlei

4 June Drive to Windhoek flight to Joh and back home on 5 June

1) We will be renting a car from Cape Town onwards.

2) Are we missing out some places which we should go?

3) At this time will be able to do whale watching & shark cage diving in Hermanus/Gansbaai and would it be better to spend 1 night in Gansbaai itself? And is it possible to do both in 1 day?

4) Does it make sense to do 2 nights Phinda, 2 Ngala and 3 inside Kruger?

5) Are 3 nights in Hazyview too much?

6) Would you spend less/more time in South Africa than Namibia? If so where should we add/reduce our stay?

7) Which part of Cape Town is best to stay in? And the moment we are thinkin of staying in Blue on Blue B & B. Is this in a good area?

8) In Durban we plan to go to Ushaka marine world. Apart from this what can we do as we heard that it is not so safe to go around?

9) Whilst in Cape Town, my gf will be having her bday. Any special place we can go to?

Sorry for so many questions but we have been researching for many weeks and now we have booked our flights and want to confirm everything is fine before booking the internal flights. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks

David

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Some opinions please

1) Good

2) Yes

3) Wrong time of year for whales

4) & 5) Don't know 7 days safari too much ?

6) No - 4 wks S. Africa, 2 wks Namibia

7) Lots of places - Blue on Blue B & B very nice location

8) I don't know

9) ditto

Have you checked out with airlines if they allow such late stage pregnant passengers ?

Edited: 19 September 2010, 13:51
Malta
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some opinions please

Hi...I am David's girfriend..

I am not pregnant...I will just be having my birthday whilst in Cape Town!!! :-)))

What places do you think we will be missing out?

Thanks

Daniela

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some opinions please

No. 8, Durban is perfectly safe to go around. Lots to do in the area, depending on your interests. Take a Ricksha bus tour of the city and visit the spice markets etc.,

Botanical gardens are lovely and have tea and scones in the park

take a trip to Phezulu Crocodile Park and traditional Zulu Homesteads and see beautiful views

visit the World Cup Stadium and take the skye car up the arch (or walk it), and for the brave swing off the arch.

Visit the Sharks Board for a tour and go out early morning and watch the sharks being taken out of the nets (beautiful time to be on the water).

Enjoy the Indian Ocean and hire surf boards, canoes, bicycles (Ushaka beach) and ride from South To Northern beaches on the beach promenade

Take a Ricksha Taxi ride from Ushaka Beach

Visit the curious markets on the beach front, Marine parade

Visit some cultural sites, Indian Temples, Hare Krishna Temple (spectacular),Jooma muslim temple.

Museums, Natural Science Museum (beautiful museum), History Museum, Kwamuhle Apartheid museum, Killie Campbell Museum, historical building and all Afrikaner historical books, Afrikaner historical furniture, Afrikaner art, african cultural artifacts ect, (appointment only)

Visit the Mangrove swamps at Umgeni River Mouth

so much to do and see.

2) I would say you are missing out on The St Lucia Wetland Park in the Hluhluwe/Mfolozi area.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Edited: 20 September 2010, 06:23
Daejeon
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Some opinions please

I think this is a great itinerary. However I think you have too much safari included.

1) Good Idea

2) You are already covering a whole lot. I would also suggest the Northern coast of Kwazulu/Natal in exchange for a few of those safari days.

3) It is a rush to do both in one day but as previous on the whale season. Try stay in Gansbaai for the night and get some local flavour.

4) Leave on of your nights in Kruger for another day in Garden Route or Natal.

5) 3 nights in Hazyview too much. Rather stay one night next to Blyde River canyon or extra night somewhere else.

6) Fine

7) Good area as long as you have your own car.

8) As before

9) Buffet lunch at Spier might be good idea.

Enjoy

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some opinions please

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I checked a bit about St Lucia Wetlands Park and it seems a very good option. Where would you include it and if we choose less safaris which would you remove?

Thanks

David

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some opinions please

You need to include it in the time that you are doing the Phinda Safari as it is in the same area.

From knysna I would rather travel back to George (only 80kms or so) and fly from George to Dbn, rather than travelling all the way to PE.

Some people would find 7 days Safari perfect, others will find it too much, so it depends entirely on you and how important seeing the wildlife is to you.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some opinions please

You need to include it in the time that you are doing the Phinda Safari as it is in the same area.

From knysna I would rather travel back to George (only 80kms or so) and fly from George to Dbn, rather than travelling all the way to PE.

Some people would find 7 days Safari perfect, others will find it too much, so it depends entirely on you and how important seeing the wildlife is to you.

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some opinions please

Thanks again for your feedback. When leaving Ngala, is it possible to pass through the panorama route on the way to Hazyview so that we remove 1 night from there?

As regards St Lucia wetlands, is 1 night enough as we cannot find somewhere else where to remove a night?

David

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some opinions please

You should be able to do that.

I nevertheless recommend to stay 2 nights in Hazyview, you then will still have a day to have a closer look at some of the for you most interesting spots and/or enjoy numerous other activities in and around Hazyview.

Just a "drive thru" of the Panorama Tour is not enough IMHO.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane Guest Lodge-

Hazyview

Edited: 21 September 2010, 12:22
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some opinions please

I just see that your arrival in Windhoek is 13h00 and you plan to travel from Hazyview to JHB on the same day.

Not sure when your flight will be leaving but do not forget that you need to calculate min 4, safer 5 hours to travel from Hazyview to OR Tambo.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane Guest Lodge -

Hazyview