We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good tour operator?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good tour operator?

Hi everybody,

my partner and I want to visit South Africa starting on the end of november. We have three weeks time and want to go from Johannesburg to Cape Town (maybe even vice versa).

Could anyone give me an advice for a good tour operator for a guided tour which possibly is not too expensive?

Thank you in advance for your tips!

Elisa

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good tour operator?

eeek, end of November this year?? Have you booked flights yet? I'm just a little concerned this may restrict your choice by quite a lot on operators. 3 weeks is certainly enough time to do that route, but you will need to synchronise the start of the tour and your arrival/departure date and check its all available.

Of course you may get some deals right now - the more flexible you are the better. I'd be prepared to change your dates possibly by couple of weeks.

www.acacia-africa.com/HolidayDetails.aspx…

I did a quick google search and found the Acacia tour which have some good reviews, but an awful lot of the other well known tour operators in the UK market are full then. I'll be honest I was struggling on the dates.

It may be worth giving STA Travel a call (if you're in the UK ) they may have some last minute deals.

Maybe there's someone on TA thats out in Cape Town or Jo'berg right now that will come back to you.

I don't think accommodation will be a problem, so maybe car hire is another option for you.

Another thing to bear in mind it's that it will be High Season in SA. and also flights will be expensive especially around Xmas as well.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good tour operator?

Hi Eli,

There are many many operators in South Africa that should be able to accommodate your needs, and run approximately three week trips from Johannesburg to Cape Town and vice versa. It's a fairly standard routing and the end of November shouldn't pose a major problem. Many of the operators have fixed departure dates and secure accommodation well in advance (block bookings). The end of November also lies in a little lul, before the local folk descend on the resorts, so you should get something if you finish up in the first week or so of December.

Some of the operators you might care to try are:

Intrepid Bundu

GAP Adventures

Jenman Safaris

All About Africa Tours

Acacia Africa

Nomad

Drifters

African Eagle

Indaba Explorations

To mention just a few. Most of these are local or have local ground-handlers.

A lot will depend on the style and budget you're looking at (participative camping, accommodated, semi-lux or luxury, small group, large group, etc.). If you give a little more detail about your needs, we can provide some more help.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 20:18
3. Re: Good tour operator?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 12:05
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good tour operator?

Hi Wayne,

Without trying to question your credentials too much ... LOL!

You claim you "were just in SA", but your location is stated as Johannesburg, your nick suggests that you're a tour guide, and your suggestion relates to a company that doesn't offer the product that Elisa is looking for, and this your first contribution to TA in 3 years.

Sorry, something doesn't look quite right ...

Edited: 20 October 2010, 10:44
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good tour operator?

So then there seems to be a switch to jasontraveller who now comes from Captiva Island in Florida who joined today but posts exactly the same post!!!

If you are trying to advertise your own business by false posts this is totally against TA rules. Let us know who you really are!

Edited: 20 October 2010, 10:57
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Good tour operator?

hi georginal and bushkid,

thank you very much for your answers, tipps and efforts.

yes, I know we're a bit late with planning... flights aren't booked yet, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. we would like to do an accompagnied private tour, so there's neither the problem with having to synchronize with fixed departing dates. but we absolutely can't change weeks, tour must be between nov. 27 and dec. 19 (+/-). tour should be accomodated but not luxury. i found just a couple of interesting offers, which need little adaptation. i will contact those operators (bush baby safaris, wimberger and drifters, maybe even others) tomorrow. the first two of these offer tours for about R 40'000, but if you know someone who costs less...

thank you again.

elisa

nb: african eagle has no tour examples on it's site

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Good tour operator?

Hi Eli, I've just messaged you .Just got back on the forums as been travelling.Our safari last year with Bushkid0 gives me no hesitation in suggesting you talk with him direct.

I did start blogging about our safari and that is here-

…blogspot.com/2010/05/african-safari-with-gr…

Really did mean to update it but so many other adventures been happening.

8. Re: Good tour operator?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 05:17