We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town to Durban in 2 days (via Garden Route)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town to Durban in 2 days (via Garden Route)

Hi all,

In December, I am thinking of taking a drive from Cape Town to Durban with a sleepover in one of the towns or cities on the way there (like PE because it is halfway) with a group of friends. Does anyone have any advise on places to stay that won't break the budget?

We would love to stretch the trip over a longer period but it's impossible at this stage because of time constraints but we have to drive.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town to Durban in 2 days (via Garden Route)

Can be done in two days, personally I would rather stay somewhere like Graaf Reinet. Just a suggestion. The route we took the last time we travelled in December 2009 was R61 from George, N9 past Graaf Reinet and back on to the R61 again to Umtata (if I can remember the roads correctly). We did this to avoid the coastal traffic, which can be grueling at this time of year.

http://www.graaffreinet.co.za/

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town to Durban in 2 days (via Garden Route)

You can stay at the Road Lodge in Port Elizabeth at R464.00 for 2 people or at the Formule 1 for about the same.

I would go farther though as a) PE is only 44% of the way and b) the CT/PE road is far faster and better than the PE/DBN section. I would look at staying in Port Alfred at the very least. This is 940km from Cape Town. Distance-wise it is half-way. Time-wise, you will still probably drive for longer on the 2nd day.

The only place I have ever stayed in Port Alfred is The Halyards which at R400pps is not cheap, but it was very nice 18 years ago.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town to Durban in 2 days (via Garden Route)

As the others say it is possible. But it is minumum of 10 hours driving per day without even a stop for lunch. No chance to stop along the Garden Route. The Transkei, although interesting, is quite slow driving - the N2 is not a big highway and goes through lots of small villages with people, children and animals all over the road. And if you get stuck behind a slow truck around one of the river crossings you could loose half an hour a time!

Personally to get there quickest I would take the N1 to Bloem and then the N5/N3 down to Durban

4. Re: Cape Town to Durban in 2 days (via Garden Route)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2011, 06:22