We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

My boyfriend and I have decided to do South Africa September of next year. Our flight has us landing in Cape Town and we would like to tour the country for around 10 days. What's a good itinerary to do the Winelands, a safari, and beach trip? It looks like the Winelands is only 1 hour away west and everything else is east.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

Winelands are indeed very close to Cape Town and you can even drive to them on a day trip from a Cape Town hotel, and return, without needing to stay overnight. A 10 day trip would work really well for you to fly to Durban from Cape Town and stay at one of the good safari reserves that are within driving distance. No more than 2.5 hours to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi, a little farther to Mkuzi or Phinda. And then you can reach the oceanside communities from any of them in a very short drive. That would be the easiest plan, and it would give you all the things you asked about.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

You could see a lot of Western Cape province in 10 days - winelands, coast, beaches, Cape Town, safari ((Eastern Cape) mountains, etc.

But you could only scratch the surface of a few places in South Africa in that time. It's a big, diverse country.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

What do you expect from a beach trip? It's the end of winter/beginning of spring and not tropical sunbathing temperatures. Lots of other worthwhile things to do IMO.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

After spending a couple of days in Cape Town, you could also fly to Nelspruit (Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport), and from there get a 2 hour road transfer to one of the private lodges in the Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve. Alternatively you could hire a car and do a self drive safari in the Kruger National Park, also within less than 2 hours' drive from KMIA.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

Thanks everyone! You gave me a great deal of info to start my research. It looks like I should fly to Durban or Nelspruit from Capetown to lodge at a great safari then hit the coast. Of course going to the beach at this time of the season wouldn't be ideal but I would like to say I stuck my toes in the Indian Ocean. :-)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

I think that Dave's suggestions in post#1 are spot on for what you want to do.

In September the northern KZN beaches are definitely to only real place for "beach-time" in South Africa. The fact that these beaches are close to some great safari destinations - either self-drive National Parks or private reserves - fits perfectly.

If you only have 10 days (a very short period) this is by far the best use of time. Adding on Kruger could be done but you will loose a day of your 10.

Arrive in Cape Town - rent a car and spend 5 days here and in the winelands on day trips. Drop the car. Fly to Durban. Rent another car. Drive to the St Lucia region. Base youreslf here the whole 5 days and travel self-drive into Hluhluwe/Imfolozi - Mukuzi and St Lucia NP itself. Or 2 nights plus 3 nights in a private reserve.

Then 2.5 hours drive back to Durban . Drop the car and fly back to Atlanta via Joburg or possibly even from Durban via Dubai?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

That sounds like a great plan to me. Based on what you are saying we should stay a full 2 weeks due to several days being devoted to travel. This should be feasible. I'm getting excited since I have some sort of direction now.

8. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 16:35
9. Re: Wineland, safari, beach ideas needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 05:25