We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight prices

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
flight prices

We plan to fly from London to Johannesburg in August and then return from Cape Town to London. The best price at the moment is with SAA (£694 per person). Does anyone know please if we should snap this up or are the prices likely to come down significantly between now and August?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flight prices

I don't think anyone can answer that question. BA have a sale on at the moment but it doesn't seem to include flights to SA. Two main factors for any airline are 1. How many tickets have we sold - if sales are slow then there might be a case for a reduction in price. However, in the ten years I have been travelling to SA the planes are invariable almost full, often every seat occupied.. 2. Costs - with fuel prices rocketing and looking to go even higher, then on balance that would indicate the possibility of increases rather than decreases. In my personal opinion based solely on events over the past few years, I would think there is very little chance of prices coming down on BA/SAA/Virgin on their direct flights. Other carriers which would involve one stop are usually cheaper.

In my case. living near Bristol, I found I could fly with Air France/KLM with a short stop in Paris/Amsterdam with a shorter overall journey time than driving to Heathrow and best of all I discovered that their Business Class is less than half of BA's price.

All depends on you I'm afraid.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight prices

Anything is possible, really nobody knows if you will get a cheaper ticket.

Remember that airfare is based on oil prices, very loosely speaking.

(Of course there are many factors that come into play, but this is not the place to discuss this)

Economists and companies in the US expect oil prices to come down based on lower demand, although no one - not even the wisest economist -knows for sure.

I however, just can't see fuel prices coming down significantly in South Africa, where SAA is based. Our economy is defintely growing even in these financially unsettling times.

We just had a significant fuel hike in SA.

I think if you can afford it and if you are the kind of person who likes security, take that ticket.

if you are a gambler, you might get a cheaper ticket, but there is no guarantee.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight prices

That's really helpful, thank you! I was wondering if anyone who flies to SA fairly regularly would have noticed a trend and you've answered that perfectly.

My husband hates flying so we tend to use direct flights but I'll look into maybe stopping once en route if it's significantly cheaper.

Business class sounds heaven especially as hubby is 6'1" and gets awfully squashed on long haul!!

Thank you very much for all your advice.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,590 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight prices

G'day Di,

Some of the best advice I have received on air prices is to pay what you are comfortable with, then never look at the prices again. It is costing us about 800 quid more for our return flights from Sydney than what you mentioned.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight prices

Excellent advice, thank you, Frommy! I keep waiting and wondering if I should book but it's less than we pay to go to Florida each year so I think I'll just go ahead and book!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight prices

Like you intend to do we always fly into J'burg and leave from Capetown - as far as I know SAA and BA are the only 2 airlines that don't make a hefty charge for departure from a different city to the arrival city -also both charge very little for an internal flight from J'burg to Capetown if you book it at the same time as your international flight - our preference is always BA

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight prices

Thank you - I've just booked our flights today with SAA and also the Premiere Classe train from Jo'burg to Cape Town. Only 31 weeks to go!!! ;-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
842 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight prices

Glad that you have it all sorted out - we are also on a countdown - only 3 weeks to go!!

Edited: 05 January 2011, 17:26
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flight prices

Well done Di. Now, as Frommy says, forget all about flight prices. They will probably go up AND down many times between now and August but if you are comfortable with the price you've paid why worry? I travel frequently between Cape Town and the UK - often at short notice and on fixed dates. The most I have paid recently is around £820 return (it can be over £1,000 at real peak times). The cheapest happened to be right now. We flew here to London on Christmas Eve and return tomorrow to Cape Town - BA direct flights £450 return!

Edited: 05 January 2011, 17:42
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flight prices

Wow - what great prices!

Yes, I'm very happy to have taken the first major step on our way to discovering South Africa!!!