We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week itinerary in South Africa - need adventure ideas!

phoenix
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
1 week itinerary in South Africa - need adventure ideas!

My husband and I traveling to SA the first week in April. It is cheapest to fly into JNB but it looks like most of the action is not there. We want to spend 2 days at the Kapama Buffalo Camp on safari but need ideas for other things to do. Is it best to take a flight from JNB to CPT and can you just book when when you get to the airport or is it best to book beforehand? Also, are there things to do if we wanted to drive from CPT to the reserve? Thanks for your help beforehand!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week itinerary in South Africa - need adventure ideas!

A fellow Phoencian.. Hi there, and well - no, you cannot drive from Cape Town to Kapama. In fact, it's way out of the way for just 2 nights. It takes a flight from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit and then a short road transfer. Then, you either fly back to Johannesburg and change planes to continue to Cape Town - or take a longer road transfer to the Nelspruit airport and fly nonstop to Cape Town. And you MUST book and pay for the flights now. Seats are limited - get more and more expensive as travelers book the available seats, leaving the last seats to be sold at the highest prices.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 06 January 2011, 04:33
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week itinerary in South Africa - need adventure ideas!

With just 1 week (6 nights?), I would fly to Joburg and pick up a car and drive to Bela Bela (WarmBaths) for a night to relax and recuperate after your flight. Then on the game reserve and do the Panorama route on your way back to Joburg. There are things to do in Joburg as well, like a trip to Soweto, the Cradle of Mankind, Lesedi Cultural Village etc.

Leave Cape Town for your next trip.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week itinerary in South Africa - need adventure ideas!

The Kampana Buffalo Camp is in Limpopo, you can do the beautiful Panorama Route from there in Mpumulanga and there is the Ndebele People that you can visit as well, quaint historical towns.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Edited: 06 January 2011, 06:29
phoenix
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week itinerary in South Africa - need adventure ideas!

Thanks for all your help so far...but I have a few more questions that maybe you can help me with. It appears that there is only 1 airline that flies from JNB to HDS - is that true? What I am finding is that the flight on SAA is booked on the Saturday we want to fly back from HDS to JNB. If we cannot find a flight then we might book a one way from JNB to HDS and then rent a car at Easgate airport and fly back to JNB. Is that route a nice, safe drive? Is it even an option there to pick up and drop off a rental car at two different locations?

5. Re: 1 week itinerary in South Africa - need adventure ideas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 07:41