We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa and Mozambique holiday

Adelaide, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
South Africa and Mozambique holiday

We are a family of 3 with a 2 year old daughter, and we're looking at going to South Africa and Mozambique around July/August 2011.

We are traveling from Australia, and are hoping to get some good ideas and information particularly on Mozambique as it has really caught our attention. Our time frame is 4 to 5 weeks, and we're hoping to spend most of this in the southern part of Africa. We'd appreciate any information or ideas out there.

One of our main questions is whether this will be a relatively safe holiday with our 2 year old.

We are happy to fly, drive and combine a small tour.

thanks

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

The weather is usually very nice in Mozambique in August. I swam at 6.30am one morning, as the sun was coming up, it was that nice. It is winter though. I absolutely loved Mozambique.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

Hi there I was in Cape Town in July and that is supposed to be during the rainy season but I had only sunny days so you can get lucky. I cant speak for Mozambique but certainly standards in South Africa in regard to hygeien etc are high, although you should be aware of the crime rate and take usualy precautions like not flaunting money or walking along the beach at nigth. There is an amazing beach called Boulders where scores of penguins walk around which I am sure your daughter will love. You can see loads of pics and get more info on SA at my travel site + a there is a link to world weather which should help you at angietravels.com

have a great time

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

Unless you are staying in an exclusive hotel (few and far between), Mozambique is pretty rustic, but very beautiful. Just a word of precaution with your 2 year old, the further north you go the more prevalent the malaria.

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

I can only give my perspectives of Mozambique as a safari guide who travels extensively in Southern Africa.

I do not cross the border into Mozambique anymore. Simple as that! I can no longer guarantee the safety of guests, and cannot take responsibility for the lives, safety and welfare of folk travelling with me. Increasing crime, corrupt and incompetent authorities, and filthy, unhygenic conditions and the non-existence of decent health services are some of the factors. I could give details (but not on the open forum).

Most of my colleagues feel the same way.

There are many on this forum who will rave about it's beauties. My experiences as a guide are somewhat different. Beautiful country, but there are many beautiful countries. Safe ones. It only takes one tragic incident (and its imminent), and I have no intention of being a statistic.

My advice ... enter at your own risk (and don't let the romantics fool you).

If you do go in, fly to a lodge, stay there, and fly out.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

Bushkid, I felt safer in Mozambique than I do in South Africa. I am not sure I understand your negativity about Moz.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 18:03
Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

No Lamlee, I'm sure you wouldn't - till you face six AK-47's in the hands of drunkards ...

Still you're welcome to go ...

By the way, which roads did you travel, and where did you stay? How many children did you have with you? Did anybody require any medical attention?

Edited: 17 January 2011, 18:17
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

There have been reports of increased crime in Mozambique further north and the most recent was in Southern Moz at Ponto D Ouro, however there are reports about SA crime too so I am not sure that we should be writing it off entirely as a holiday destination. We were in Ponto in June and experienced no criminal element, except some camp guards beating up a potential burglar, however we did feel safe there and we walked to the local market and restaurants at night with kids in tow and had no issues. One must be more careful in these places though as it is a very poor third world country and if you do need hospital attention this is nearly non existent unless you travel to Maputo or across the border to SA. The one thing that I do think that is different between SA and Moz is that our tourists are not targets of crime because we have a 1st world infrastructure with wealthy residents, whereas Moz generaly only has 'wealthy' tourists to target.

…blogspot.com/2010/06/mozambique-ponto-d-our…

Edited: 18 January 2011, 05:29
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,942 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

G'day familyoz,

This is the advice issued by the Australian Government for Mozambique:

"# We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Mozambique because of high levels of serious crime.

# Demonstrations can occur with little warning. You should avoid all demonstrations and protests as they may become violent

Armed robbery and break-ins are common in the capital Maputo and in other towns. Petty crime is common throughout the country, especially muggings and bag snatching. Foreigners have been targeted. Carjacking is common, particularly in Maputo and on routes to Mutare, Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Violent attacks, including sexual assault, can occur on Mozambique's beaches at any time of day. Serious assault and robberies have occurred at two coastal resorts in the Inhambane province. Isolated beaches and picnic spots should be avoided. Criminal activity increases at night and during holiday periods. You should avoid walking at night, even in well-known tourist areas. "

smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…Mozambique

I would not go there. There is plenty to keep you occupied in South Africa alone in your time frame IMO, with perhaps Victoria Falls and Botswana thrown in.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 09:33
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,942 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

Further advice from the Australian Government Smart Traveller site:

"Medical facilities in Mozambique are limited. While costs are generally lower than in Australia, up-front payment will be required before receiving treatment regardless of whether the patient has travel insurance. In the event of serious illness or injury, medical evacuation to a country with state-of-the-art medical facilities may be required which can be very expensive. Medivacs to South Africa from Mozambique can cost up to $A25,000.

Malaria is prevalent throughout the year in Mozambique. Other insect-borne diseases (including filariasis, plague and African sleeping sickness) are also common. We encourage you to take prophylaxis against malaria and take measures to avoid insect bites including using insect repellent at all times.

Water-borne, food-borne and other infectious diseases (including cholera, hepatitis, tuberculosis and rabies) are prevalent with more serious outbreaks occurring from time to time. We encourage you to consider having vaccinations before travelling. It is recommended that all drinking water be boiled or that you drink bottled water, avoid ice cubes and raw or undercooked food. Do not swim in fresh water to avoid exposure to certain water-borne diseases such as bilharzia (schistosomiasis). Seek medical advice if you have a fever or are suffering from diarrhoea."

While I accept the the Government advice is always on the side of safety, not only would I not travel there I would certainly not risk a 2 yo to potential exposure to health risks, considering that appropriate preventative measures would be more difficult. Factor in also that some regions of the northern part of South Africa, like Kruger, as well as Zimbabwe and the northern areas of Botswana are also Malaria risk areas.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: South Africa and Mozambique holiday

Bushkid, we travelled Giriyondo through Chokwe and down to Xai-Xai, but we should have rather have skipped Xai-Xai and stayed the night in the forest at Panda and then we would have most likely ticked the Olive Headed Weaver.

We then travelled all the way up the EN1 as far as the Zambezi and saw the impressive new bridge. We turned around and headed down again. At Mapinhane, just south of Vilanculos, we took the road to Mabote. From there, we headed north along sand tracks to Parque Nacional de Zinave, where we spent a fabulous 2 days. Back down to Mabote and then to Mapai and Pafuri.

About 50km from Mapai, disaster struck. Because of the incredibly bumpy sand roads and very corrugated gravel roads a large bolt came out of our trailer and vanished. We stopped at the next group of huts to ask for help. The gods smiled on us and a minister from Mapai was there. He was one of the few people who could speak English in the whole area. The first thing that happened was he asked us to stay at his house that night (how generous). Between him and hubby, they decided the trailer would get to Mapai. At Mapai, the guy took us to a couple of shops and found us a bolt. With the help of the minister, his sons and hubby spent 3/4 hour putting the trailer back together. His wife heated water on the fire, so I (and later everyone else) could have a wash in an outdoor reed structure before supper. They then gave us a supper of tinned pilchards and mealie pap, after which, we listened to religious broadcasts mainly from South Africa on the radio. A truly memorable evening, spent with kind and generous people.