We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

Hi All,

We'll be spending some time in South Africa very soon and I'm bringing my new iPad so that I can keep in touch with my business. I had presumed that I could buy prepaid sim cards anywhere and hop onto cell networks if there is no wifi. (that's what the Apple Store clerk told me but she seemed generally disinterested...) I'm seeing some information about cutting up regular sim cards to micro-format to make them work, and difficulties encountered by non-residents in buying these 'too big anyway' cards.

I'm hoping that it is less complicated than that. Does anyone have any recent experience and/or tips? I know we'll be in more cell service areas and wifi zones.

Thanks.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

You can buy a prepaid card and then buy additional data bundle

vodacom.co.za/vodacom/…

I have not seen micro sim as prepaid but cutting the sim into a micro sim is absolutely no problem. We did it for our iPad as well as the new iPhones, works perfectly!

When printing the template make sure you do NOT reduce the print size!

Thats it!

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

That was the easiest to use template I found. I hope you understand some German!

macnotes.de/images/micro-sim-schablone-macno…

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

Thanks, Klaus

My German isn't bad. I printed the template/instructions out at 100% sizing. I'm not very crafty (or technologically inclined either) but I guess I'll give it try. I can pick up the card and bundle at the airport in Johannesburg?

Really looking forward to our trip, it was -27'C here this morning!

Cheers.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

I can only speak about Vodacom.

You buy the sim card for R1,00 at any vodashop as well as a data bundle whatever size you need (see the link I sent with previous post). You can do that at the airport or any other vodashop.

We are also not very gifted when it comes to "handicraft" but we managed, LOL

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Amsterdam
1 post
5. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

Did this work? I want to give it a try too!

Birgit

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

It did but it was a bit more complicated than it should be. I got the microsim card at a Voda Shop but I had to bring my Aunt and Uncle who live in Pretoria and they had to use their identification to buy the card. I don't know if it is possible to buy a card if you don't have a permanent South African address. I bought another microsim card in Namibia and it was no trouble at all. They didn't need any identification and didn't care where I live.

Once I got the card it worked great - I used free wifi where it was available and the cell service where it wasn't. In South Africa, I never had a time when I couldn't email - very handy when trying to run a business at home while on safari!

Cheers,

Doris

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

I just realized that I should have mentioned that the instructions about cutting a card down are not necessary. Voda Shop has the correct microsim card so the craft project is not necessary.

Cheers,

Doris

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

Does the prepaid micro sim card work with iPad 2 3G with Verizon? I thought I understood that it might only work with the AT&T service.

Thanks for your help.

Ted

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

I used my iPad 1 3G device and the Voda Shop micro sim card worked fine. The only issue was the residency requirement in South Africa issue to buy the micro sim card. I'm sure the iPad2 will work as well.

Cheers,

Doris

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,320 posts
10. Re: Using an iPad with a prepaid micro sim card

Tedand John

Unfortunately a lot of the USA still uses the old CDMA network technology (specifically Verizon and others) - about the only place in the world that hasn't changed! If you don't have a SIM card in your Tablet or Phone (whether its Apple, Android, Blackberry or whatever), you can't use your phone in South Africa - or most of the rest of the world. The rest of the world has used GSM for many years with upgrades to 3G and now 4G. Certainly no CDMA networks in South Africa.

Just open up the back of the device and check if there is a SIM card. If not you will only be able to use your iPad by connecting to WiFi in a Hotel, Guesthouse, which supplies it, or a Hot Spot.

You need a GSM tablet or phone from AT&T or any other forward looking networks in the US!