We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitors

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitors

My family (2 adults and 2 children - ages 18 and 12) are visiting SA for the first time in the first two weeks of July. We will be flying from Toronto to Durban as we have family in Durban. I am sure the family will take care of the sightseeing but from a tourist point of view, I would really appreciate your help in letting me know what the "must sees" in SA. We will be there for approx. 2 weeks. I want to have my own information and not be ignorant and depend on them to take us sightseeing. I am sooooooo excited. Thanks so much for your help.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitors

Do you have any idea how long you are likely to stay in the Durban area for as I think that will have a big impact on the sort of sensible suggestions that could be made?

Essentially, if I was you, I would look at having some sort of safari experience in KwaZulu Natal, probably driving up to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi and St Lucia for 3-4 nights once you're done with family, and then flying from Durban to Cape Town and spending the rest of my stay in the Western Cape.

However, another consideration at that time of year is the weather. July is winter in SA but Durban/KZN will be considerably warmer than Cape Town and surrounds!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitors

We will be landing in Durban at the start of our visit. However the rest of the two weeks will be built around the sightseeing part because that is what we are there for - seeing family is an added bonus. I adjust worried if left up to them they may not take us anywhere for fear of having to accompany us. So if I know what there is to see and do, I can build our itinerary and say this is how we plan to spend the two weeks. I hop you get the idea.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 13:51
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitors

Two weeks,

Spend 3 to 4 days in Zululand, North coast for game parks (private Phinda, Thula Thula, Thanda, Zulu Nyala etc.) or Public Parks (Hluhluwe/Mfolozi, Mkuze, Pongola, Ithala, ect.

Cape Vidal for snorkelling, diving, whale watching (on boat so be prepared to get wet)

horse riding on beaches in Zululand

canoeing or boat cruises on the ST Lucia Estuaries for birdlife, hippo and crocs

Emdoneni Cheetah and wild cat sanctuary

Shakaland (traditional Zulu Homestead of King Shaka with Zulu dancing, traditional foods,syngomas etc)

Zulu craft markets

Wild fig forest walks

Helicopter rides

Durban

walk or sky car the Moses Mahbida Stadium Arch and do the swing or take in the views

Sharks board excursion and go out at dawn on the boats to collect sharks in the nets

Victoria Muti Market (traditional healers market), Durban Tourism Tours

Ricksha Bus Tour (open air double decker bus city tour)

The beaches are lovely at this time of year up and down the coast so get in the car and explore kzn coastline.

Tala small game reserve 45 min outside Durban (not the big 5, but lots of animals to see)

Phezulu Crocodile and traditional Zulu Homesteads, Valley of 1000 Hills)

Oribi Gorge http://www.oribigorge.co.za/wild5.html

Ushaka water world and theme park

Ushaka beach, learn to surf, hire bikes and ride the promenade, do a gondola ride on the waterfront waterways

lunch at Moyos at Ushaka or Cargo Hold (in the bowls of the ship with an aquarium as your backdrop)

so much to do in Durban and Kzn

Beach, bush, berg (Drakensberg Mountains) and battlefields (great re-enactments and site visits of major zulu, english and boer wars)

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

4. Re: First time visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 15:16