We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which private game reserve?

Sydney
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Which private game reserve?

I am trying to decide which game reserve to stay in. Can anyone help? We (my adult daughter and I) are planning to go to SA in July for a week.

We, would like to stay in a fairly luxurious camp and see lots of animals. We're not keen to stay somewhere "romatntic" aimed at couples, nor do we want a family oriented place.

Any ideas??

Billerica, MA
Level Contributor
170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which private game reserve?

You might consider Londolozi Tree Camp. Excellent accommodations, excellent area for game sightings, and children under 16 are not allowed as guests. (Children are allowed at some/all other camps at Londolozi.)

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which private game reserve?

Kuname River lodge is a luxurious private game reserve - 5 stars...

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which private game reserve?

Too broad a question, really... are you coming into the country at Johannesburg and want to go on safari first? Or in the middle of your trip? At the end? Where else are you going? Budget? $500 a night? $400? Less? More? We can toss out names of places, tell you about some of the winter specials - but it will all be a lot more useful to you if we are working with more information. Thanks..

Adelaide
Level Contributor
118 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which private game reserve?

Hi Sydneygirl,

I leave for SA in 2 weeks with my mum. As part of our trip we are doing a 3 day safari. I researched the many options SA has available. I decided on 'Makalali private game lodge'. It is in the Limpopo province just outside kruger itself. We are flying there from Jo'burg. Not a cheap flight about $500 Aus$ return from Jo'burg. Most safaris will be fly in though. Makalali costs about $550 for 2 nights pp twin share. It received really lovely reviews on trip advisor plus they also have a web site. A good friend of mind spent a year in the area working with Lions and recommended the area also.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy Africa when you go. It is my favourite place (other than Australia of course!).

Kind regards

Gypsygirl8

Sydney
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which private game reserve?

Hi gypsygirl

Thanks so much for your answer, you must be sooo excited. It's so hard to decide between the game lodges. Can I ask you, what were the deciding factors that made you choose Makalali?

Sydney
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which private game reserve?

Hi bwanadave,

Thanks for your comment. To give you some more info. We are planning to fly into Johannesburg and hopefully fly to a game reserve the next day. As we can only afford a short time away from work, our time in Africa is unfortunately limited to about 1 week.

I know there are a lot of other great things to see in SA, but as our time is limited, we are sticking with what we most love to do, which is see animals in the wild.

I am currently leaning towards the Sabi Sand area, maybe the Lion Sands Reserve. Do you think that the animal viewing is better there, compared to the Sabi Sabi area?

I read that the animals gather around the river and can be viewed from Lion Sands. Is that correct?

I'd appreciate a local experts view.

Thanks

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which private game reserve?

Both Lion Sands and Sabi Sabi are quality lodges. Lion Sands does sit on the Sabie River and there are often animals seen on both sides of the river. Also Lion Sands has a platform that sits over the river that provides for both great game and bird viewing. I will be heading back to Lion Sands for my 6th time this July, so I am definitely biased, but for good reason.

Mike

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Which private game reserve?

I will add in my 2 cents about Sabi Sabi. I have been there 3 times and stayed in both Bush Lodge and Earth Lodge. The staff are amazing and the rangers some of the best I have experienced. Many of them have been there for a very long time which I think is a testament to the reserve. The very first game drive I did I saw the Big Five - unheard of but very lucky! I returned with my husband a couple of years later and we saw a huge pride of Lions returning from a hunt on our first morning drive.

Bush Lodge has a deck which overlooks a waterhole where you can watch the animals come and go.

I have stayed at a couple of other lodges in South Africa but Sabi Sabi is my favourite!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which private game reserve?

July is a month when some winter specials can help your budget. The Sabi Sabi 4-night package with 2 nts Selati and 2 nts Earth Lodge is R26KPP. All in the one reserve. My choice would be using 2 AndBeyond camps in opposite ends of Sabi Sand - Kirkman's and Exeter River or Dulini. Because the 4th night is free in their programs and rates are Mid-Season, this would be R15KPP. They transfer guests from one lodge to the other, no charge. Looking at a map of Sabi Sand, you can see the relative locations of any and all the camps that may be recommended to you. The official site of the Sabi Sand reserve has this map that can help you see the relative locations of just about any camp that might be suggested: http://www.sabisand.co.za/ssw-map.html

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which private game reserve?

I highly recommendd the &Beyond camps at Sabie Sands Reserve : there are 3 next to each other :

&Beyond Dulini; &Beyond Leadwood Lodge and & Beyond Exeter River lodge - all with African decor ( 4 - 12 rooms)

The south has &Beyond Kirkman's camp - very colonial and the biggest camp (18 rooms). We loved ALL of them .

The staff are so friendly and each camp even different from each other all had something special to offer.

What makes & Beyond camps stand out from other camps is their commitment to community and conservation issues ,and I would happily pay money for any good cause.I shall return - hopefully soon !