We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

picking a safari lodge

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
picking a safari lodge

I recieved some great recommendations on this forum about lodges I hadn't checked out yet. I now have 4 that were recommended that have availability and need to make a decision so thought I would ask on this forum while doing a final look see at Trip Advisor.

The lodges are as follows:

Elephant Plains - either standard or luxury accomodation

Gomo Gomo

Kapama - Buffalo camp or 2 other spa room at the lodge or luxury tent

Bushwise Lodge

I have enquired twice with Pondoro and haven't recieved a response yet so that seems to be off the list.

Please let me know your thoughts. Gomo Gomo, Elephant Plains standard accomadation and the Buffalo camp are the ones that are in our initial price range.

With all being equal room wise which lodge has the best animal experience??

Felleng Day Tours
Safaris, Cultural Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ingrid's Safaris - Day Tour
Safaris, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: picking a safari lodge

Of those, I like Elephant Plains rondavels best. But - they are very busy and you cannot always get the dates you need. Check now - you can do it on their website..

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: picking a safari lodge

I stayed at Gomo Gomo a few weeks ago (and visited and stayed at several other lodges).

I found Gomo Gomo to be the best value I've encountered in a long time, with all the comfortsI wanted, great hospitality, good service and fantastic game viewing.

I also looked at Nthambo Camp, Africa-on-Foot's new offering. Very nice (www.nthambo.com).

Level Contributor
2,574 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: picking a safari lodge

I agree with Dave - of the lodges you have mentioned, I highly recommend Elephant Plains -their standard accommodation is in my opinion excellent value for money!!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
59 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: picking a safari lodge

Thank-you for your help!! I ended up booking with Elephant Plains as the reviews were all very good and the rooms (even in the guest pictures) looked nice - certainly not luxury like Kapama - but we need to save some $$ for other fun things to do in South Africa.

Gomo Gomo was a close second. It seems from the reviews that they went through some pains after their move. The recent reviews look much better than those posted in 2009 and early 2010 but still not quite as good as Elephant Plains. That and no internet access - I own a business in the US and unfortunately cannot stay unconnected for 4 whole days - was what made me pick Elephant Plains.

You all are great resources for first timers to South Africa and I really appreciate your advice and the time you took to respond to my post.

5. Re: picking a safari lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:23
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now