We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights on the Airbus A380

Simon's Town, South...
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Flights on the Airbus A380

We want to fly on the Airbus A380 again as we had a really comfortable flight Economy Class from Dubhai to London. Both Lufthansa and Air France fly them but we are looking for recommendations or condemnations of either airline, particularly on the route from Johannesburg to Paris or Frankfurt.

Brussels
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

I always use Air France to fly to Jo'burg. I have very particular reasons for doing so. You see, I am from Belgium and any flight to Jo'burg means at least one stopover. Which in turn means; a chance that luggage stays behind. If there's one thing I hate, it's ending up in the bush without much appropriate clothing.

Air France is the answer for me, as...

1) I can take a speed train to the Charles De Gaulle airport, while keeping the luggage with me

2) The tickets on that train are always first class if you book an international Air France flight

3) The service is excellent, and leg space sufficient (which is a surprise as I am 1m90cm and the French are - on average - not the tallest Europeans.

4) It is the fastest option. Any other option first takes us (by aircraft) to an airport that is not in the direction of Africa.

Nothing but positive experiences so far, with Air France. If there's one company I stay away from, it's KLM. Three holidays, three disasters.

B.regs,

J.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

Flew on the Emirates A380 from London to Dubai last year and the plane was really beautiful! Little lights on the roof, wood panelling... nice look and feel.

Flew the Lufthansa A380 from JHB to Frankfurt more recently and the plane was pretty ordinary in looks! A bit disappointed actually!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
18 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

Flew on the Emirates A380 from London to Dubai last year and the plane was really beautiful! Little lights on the roof, wood panelling... nice look and feel.

Flew the Lufthansa A380 from JHB to Frankfurt more recently and the plane was pretty ordinary in looks! A bit disappointed actually!

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

Emirates are about to start flying it on their Jo'burg route:

emirates.com/za/…

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

DeeandDon,

Ask me again next month. I am booked AF to/from CDG and will let you know.

Pixelpower. I always thought Zurich was more or less in a direct line towards Africa from Belgium. I often see it from the window of my KLM flights.

Simon's Town, South...
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

@pOOdlemOm: The Emirates A380 is something special which made us decide to fly on the airbus to Europe next month. We have chosen Lufthansa and so are disappointed to read your post. Hopefully what they lack in glamour they make up for with efficiency.

Simon's Town, South...
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

@ Sandsy40: Thanks for the link. Unfortunately Emirates will only start flying the A380 from October 2011. I know what I will be flying on from that date!

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

Have flown the Air France Joburg to Paris route and will be flying Paris/Joburg and return on Air France again in July. Can't compare to the other airlines, but it was much more spacious than my continuing flight to Los Angeles on a different Air France plane. The Joburg/Paris portion of the trip on the airbus was very comfortable with good service.

Edited: 12 May 2011, 04:51
South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

Good to know about the AF A380 flight 900...as we have been upgraded (!) to Business Elite flat beds on the way to JoBurg out of CDG, but Coach coming back. However, the consolation there is that we are put on another flat bed flight "across the pond" on our return to the US, so at least on each flight I will have a nice lie-down.

This is a new experience for me, never having flown Business Class (I'm a hostel and backpacker type of traveler) so this will be a real treat.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 16:35
Simon's Town, South...
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights on the Airbus A380

@Kimanjo: Wow, lucky you. I have only flown Upper Class once on Virgin and also had a flat bed. Only trouble was that I slept the whole flight and so did not get to have my free massage and a la carte meals whenever!