We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richards Bay,South Africa

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Richards Bay,South Africa

Hi,

I have two nights to spend in the Richards Bay area, September 21/22. I have been looking at Prptea Imvubu Lake view chalets. Is this my best choice? Or would you recommend something different?

Is there an area I should look at? No walking. Not because I'm lazy but because of my health. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Richards Bay,South Africa

While I am not an expert on the area I would suggest you look a bit further north, St Lucia for example. The reason for this is that Richards Bay is the main coal export harbor in South Africa and I suspect that there will be a lot of coal dust in the air surrounding Richards Bay.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Richards Bay,South Africa

Thank you

I've already made reservations in Saint Lucia. I had been thinking exactly the same thing. You convinced me. I didn't know about the coal harbor.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Richards Bay,South Africa

Fair enough Richards Bay does have the single biggest coal export terminal in the world - and the town was developed as an industrial centre (paper/pulp mills, aluminium smelters, heavy sands mining and smelting, chrome smelting), but is was developed fairly recently to reasonably modern environmental standards. You would not get affected by coal dust!

However it is not really a tourist centre and I would also recommend heading north to St Lucia.

4. Re: Richards Bay,South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 12:18