We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East and southern Africa?

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
East and southern Africa?

Hi,

Hubby and I would like to spend 6 to 8 weeks in October/November this year exploring some of these countries but need advice on possible itineries!

I love to photograph people, animals, landscapes etc. We enjoyed a wonderful safari in the Masai Mara about 5 yrs ago.

Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Zanzibar) is a must but am wondering how best to see Vic Falls, Cape Town,some other stunning scenery, maybe some other safaris and possibly Namibia. Or maybe we should consider Rwanda or Uganda?

Also which parts of the tour should we do through agents and which ourselves with hire car, booking hotels etc to keep cost down. In S. America and India we went for mid range hotels but we don't mind lower as long as clean/safe. Also prefer internal flights to v. long overland trips.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

(I am also posting in the Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia and South Africa forums)

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: East and southern Africa?

You cant have internal flights on international routes.You will need to pass through customs and immigration. But I guess you meant inter-Africa flights. Flights between African countries are expensive, so you don't want to do too many. Flights from specific places to specific places often need either charter flights (very expensive) or a few changes of planes. I prefer driving from place to place to sitting at airports, but that is just me.

I suppose with 8 weeks, you probably do have time to do East Africa and Southern Africa, but I would definitely do one or the other. And as you haven't been to Southern Africa ........

Self-drive options include http://www.britz.co.za/36.4x4-Rentals.htm but you don't sound like camping types.

8 weeks is enough time to start in Cape Town and go up through Namibia, over to Botswana, then on to Vic Falls and Zambia and then back to Johannesburg via Kruger. Of course, then you are missing the entire South African coastline, the Garden Route, the Karoo, the Wild Coast, the Drakensberg, Zululand ....

6 weeks is probably enough to do a circular tour of South Africa. From Cape Town all the way up along the coast, but not ignoring the Karoo, with a detour to the Drakensberg and maybe Lesotho - then through Swaziland to Kruger, south to north - Tshipse for some relax - Mapungubwe National Park - Madikwe or Marakele National Park - Kimberley or Witsand - Kgalagadi National Park - Augrabies National Park - then down the West Coast, back to Cape Town. 8 weeks would be better.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East and southern Africa?

Normally I would also recommend focusing on either southern africa or east africa, but in 8 weeks you can definitely do both. Tanzania and Zanzibar can easily be done in 2 weeks, and from Zanzibar there is an affordable flight with 1Time Airlines to Johannesburg, South Africa. From Johannesburg, Victoria Falls is an affordable 2 hour flight away (again the cheapest ticket is with 1Time to Livingstone), Cape Town is a 2 hour flight away as well, and if you wish to include Kruger National Park it is a one hour flight or 5 hour road transfer from Johannesburg.

There are several operators who will be able to put your entire itinerary together (both east and southern africa) and in theory this should cost you the same as booking everything yourself. Contact a few operators and see what itineraries they come back with.

Here is a suggested itinerary (very rough draft) for an itinerary of about 45 days (6-7 weeks):

Day 1 - Arrive and overnight Arusha, Tanzania

Day 2-3 Tarangire National Park

Day 4 Lake Manyara

Day 5-6 Ngorongo Crater

Day 6-10 Serengeti

Day 10 Fly from Serengeti to Zanzibar

Day 10-14 Zanzibar

Day 14 - Fly Zanzibar to Johannesburg

Day 15 - Fly Johannesburg to Victoria Falls

Day 15-18 - Victoria Falls

Day 18-21 - Chobe National Park, Botswana

Day 21 - Fly from Victoria Falls to Cape Town

Day 21-26 - Explore Cape Town and surrounds

Day 26-30 - Explore Garden Route

Day 30 - Fly from Port Elizabeth to Durban

Day 30-35 Explore northern Kwazulu-natal (safari and beach)

Day 35 Drive up to through Swaziland to Kruger National Park

Day 36-40 On safari in Kruger National Park

Day 40-43 On safari in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Day 43-44 Panorama Route

Day 45 Return to Johannesburg and connect to flight home

This kind of itinerary would easily fit into 7 weeks and show you the best of East Africa and Southern Africa on one trip. The longest overland sections are avoided by internal flights.

Hope this helps to get you started, and good luck with planning your trip!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East and southern Africa?

Thank you Wild Wings and Lamlee very much for you helpful responses. We are realising that South Africa warrants a separate trip another time to do it justice. We are still very much in the research stage and reading lots of posts on TA. As a photographer I am particularly excited by Namibia and feel that this will warrant a fair amount of our time, however we are also still wanting to safari in Northern Tanzania. At the moment we are wondering whether all this can be achieved by also flying in to Vic Falls and either flying out to Windhoek or travelling through Botswana.

So: Tanzania (Serengeti, N Crater, Tarangire) - {Zanzibar?} - Vic Falls (Zimbabwe side) - Botswana? - Windhoek - self drive Namibia for 2 to 3 weeks. Fly home.

We are planning to start around 1st October this year for 6 to 7 weeks. Am I right in thinking it is therefore best to start in Tanzania?

(also posted in Tanzania and Namibia forums)

4. Re: East and southern Africa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 17:17