We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short safari

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
43 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
short safari

I work for Delta Airlines as a flight attendant and my husband and I are planning a last minute trip to South Africa in late September. We will spend probably 5 days in Cape Town and surrounds, and then would like to do a short 3 - 4 night safari. We are considering Kruger (of course), but also Madikwe and the Kwa Zulu Natal area. We have been on a longer safari before, in the Western Serengeti and Ngorongoro. I am looking for a stylish lodge or tented camp with good game viewing but can't really afford $1500/night. Most lodges will offer us a travel industry discount. We are both active and would enjoy hiking/game walks but also enjoy a little pampering. Any suggestions?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: short safari

If you can't afford $1,500 per night what can you afford? Is this price for two people or per-person. What sort of discount do you expect to get on rack rates?

With the current weak dollar and strong Rand it will be a bit more difficult to fit budgets. Pampering costs money - lol!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
43 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short safari

I've already received replies from several highly ranked lodges for $500- $700/night per couple with my discount. I am more interested in opinions about what would be a great, off-beat safari experience. Really, I'd love a camping safari and don't mind doing dome of the work, but would still enjoy the "Out Of Africa" experience.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: short safari

Still not clear what sort of price level (published rates) that you are looking for. However one of my favourite true tented safari camps (outside KNP itself) is Shingwedzi in the Timabavati Private Reserve bordering Kruger with no fences between. Excellent game viewing with a mixture of Game drives and walking safaris with excellent guides. Pampered with great home cooking by Gertie – one of the best camp cooks I have ever met!

Not ultra-luxury, out-of-the-glossy-magazine-pages, chintzy tented accommodation with scattered rose-petals, but comfortable tents with private bathrooms. Only ten two-people tents and, outside peak seasons, the camp is often not full. So no crowds and space to relax in the bush with wildlife coming close into the camp.

One of the Private Tented Reserves with the highest ratings here on Trip Advisor. Maybe read some of the reviews - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g471860-d156793…

Total, all-inclusive price for a couple in September R3,100pn (approx. US$450 depending on exchange rate). No idea what discount you might get on this price – if anything.

http://www.shindzela.co.za/default.aspx

Edited: 14 July 2011, 17:36
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: short safari

Apologies "Shindzela"! I just posted on Shingwedzi, inside Kruger, on another post. My confusion ;-(

Edited: 14 July 2011, 17:39
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
43 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short safari

Thank you, Van de Caab - I will check it out. Appreciate your response!

Boston...
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: short safari

Perigree,

You might be interested in a camp called Africa on Foot. This camp is in the Klasserie region of Kruger, and, as the name suggests, features walking safaris. The price is less than many of the Sabi Sands camps.

The company that operates Africa on Foot also operates nThambo, a nearby camp that has a similar feel as Africa on Foot, but features game drives rather than safari walks. Both camps are quite small, which I find makes for a pleasant stay.

Don Topaz

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,359 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short safari

And at nThambo, you sleep in a sort of treehouse! Nothing much to add to the conversation except to say - that in a startlingly brief period of time, you have been told about maybe the best places that fit your way of thinking..

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: short safari

I think you will probably enjoy nThambo more than Africa on Foot perhaps, as Dave says the rooms are raised like treehouses, tented units on raised platforms (not a true treehouse but same idea). You can still do the same walks you can do at Africa on Foot, and the pricing here is among the most affordable of any lodge in greater Kruger.

Another favorite tented camp of mine is Camp Shawu in the dry season (September is perfect) which is situated in Kruger itself. The downside is that they offer no walks. But the camp itself has only 5 tents all overlooking an active waterhole.

Indiana
Level Contributor
785 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short safari

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

I just got back from Madikwe yesterday and it was AMAZING! My review is above. Since it is a Malaria free zone, no medicine was necessary. Fedair has a daily flight that you can probably get cheap, as you work for Delta.

Madikwe Safari Lodge offers good prices and GREAT game drives, along with pampering. They have a full time massage therapist and personal chef for each camp. We were the only family in our camp and had it all to ourselves. If you send me a PM, I will hook you up with my travel agent, who got us excellent pricing at MSL. The new management company, is doing a great job and you will love your stay.

BTW - The Delta flight from Atlanta to JoBurgh was great. Glad they added it.

10. Re: short safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 11:16