We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenirs?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenirs?

In your opinion, what is the quintessential South African souvenir?

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenirs?

That's a hard one! We have a whole dining room of things that we have brought back over the past 20years. Lots of wooden carvings (animals, masks, people).

Zulu beads (necklaces, hats, animals on wire frames). Pictures (wildlife water colours, venda clay tablets, bushman paintings on slate, pictures based around butterfly wings and guinea fowl feathers). Painted ostrich eggs. Semi-precious stone carvings. Animals made out of recylced metal in the garden too.

Hard to choose!

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenirs?

i got a vuvuzela!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenirs?

I do like the ostrich leather purses.

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenirs?

Moving to Cape Town permanently (lol)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenirs?

Lengau

Spot on! I think I visited this country maybe 20 times before I realised it!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souvenirs?

Hi,

I love beautifully crafted South African made jewellery; also hand painted table mats, table cloths and glass plates with African designs (Peace River, Green Point).

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Souvenirs?

So many choices and always so little luggage space!

I forgot hand woven wall hangings! This time I'm aiming for something big for the head of the stairwell.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souvenirs?

You've really sparked my imagination ... can't wait to shop!

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souvenirs?

I just returned from SA on July 5. Loved it! I brought back animal figurines (made from recycled glass), beaded dolls, a wood carving...and several bottles of good South African wine from vineyards in the Winelands.

10. Re: Souvenirs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 09:19