We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panorama Route

Washington DC
Level Contributor
749 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Panorama Route

Accidentally deleted my last posting- titled 2 options, wanted to update it and repost our decision but it closed it when trying to edit. Anyway! woops! Now it is closed- so I thought I would ask another question on a separate post.

We were deciding between 2 option which involved more or less nights in CPT. We chose 3 nights in CPT with an additional night in Hazyview to tour Blyde River Canyon. What is the best way to do the Panorama Route? Any preferred companies? Are the roads and area safe? We will do this through a tour company vs self drive. Want to see God's Window and other major sights in the area and wondering how long it takes to do this tour.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Panorama Route
Panorama Route
877 Reviews
Graskop, South Africa
God's Window
God's Window
596 Reviews
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Hazyview
Hazyview
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Blyde River Canyon Lodge
Blyde River Canyon Lodge
265 Reviews
Hoedspruit, South Africa
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panorama Route

Have a look at www.safarisdirect.co.za for pick up, tour and transfer.

It will be a nice day trip.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panorama Route

The panorama route is safe to drive. You can do this in one day. You can stop at God's Window, the Potholes (Bourke's Luck), and the view of the Three Rondawels. Very nice route to drive. Have a lunch in Graskop or Pelgrims Rest.

Agnes

Felleng Tours

Mentioned in this post
God's Window
God's Window
596 Reviews
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Felleng Day Tours
Felleng Day Tours
701 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Graskop
Graskop
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panorama Route

One day is enough and self drive is safe

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panorama Route

I have a follow up question if anyone can help....

Can the Panorama Route be done as we drive from Johannesburg to Kruger? We are leaving Joburg early in the morning and our safari lodge is in Balule which is in central Kruger. Can I leave Joburg early, drive through the Panorama Route on my way to our lodge, and still make it to the lodge in time for the evening safari?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Panorama Route
Panorama Route
877 Reviews
Graskop, South Africa
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Washington DC
Level Contributor
749 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panorama Route

Another question, how far is it from the Timbavati lodges to the Panorama Route- seems like it might be a few hrs to the Hazyview area, but wondering how much farther all the other sites will be.

Mentioned in this post
Panorama Route
Panorama Route
877 Reviews
Graskop, South Africa
Hazyview
Hazyview
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Panorama Route

No time really, I would say. You should check in to your lodge at 2pm at the latest.

Drive the scenic route there via Dullstroom and the Long Tom Pass.

Mentioned in this post
Long Tom Pass
Long Tom Pass
75 Reviews
Lydenburg, South Africa
Dullstroom
Dullstroom
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panorama Route

Timbavati-Hazyview will take you app. 1,5 hours., R40, straight drive.

The Panarama Route is along the R532 on the other side of the canyon. This is where the main attractions are. As said, it will be a nice day trip. As you are not selfdriving, the operator will make sure you will be in Hazyview at the time you wish.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Mentioned in this post
Hazyview
Hazyview
Mpumalanga, South Africa
Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Panorama Route

Have booked on a panarama tour with springbok. Starting at Joburg and ending at cape town. There is only 3 people on board which to me seems odd. Has anyone done this tour? We leave 2nd Oct. 2011

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
334 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Panorama Route

Yes if you leave early then you can do it in one day. Just stop at the main attractions and not at all the waterfalls. The Bourke's Luck potholes and also the Three Rondawels are for me the best to see. Pelgrims Rest is nice if there is time. Original Mining Village.

Springbok atlas is very long in the business. More people start to do the self drive. I think it depends on how many people book the tour. Most of the time these tours are scheduled tours, not like private tours that you decide on the itinerary. Hope you have a wonderful stay and see all the animals.

All the best

Agnes

10. Re: Panorama Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 22:18