We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

start at a or b

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
start at a or b

Traveling from NYC would it be more advantageous to

start in Capetown?

And do Kruger safari last?

Safari first?

Thank You

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: start at a or b

I think the highlight of most peoples visit to our country is a safari so I would do it last.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: start at a or b

Honestly, I don't think there is a 'best' way to set up your trip. I have guests in South Africa right now doing safari first - and others leaving this morning from JFK who will also have their safari first. But in both cases, they first have a night at Johannesburg to help recover from the long trip without doing it at a safari camp - at safari camp prices!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: start at a or b

Also depends on the time of year you are going. These two regions have very different climates.

In the spring (late September/October) it would be best to visit Kruger first to try and avoid the start of the rainy season and (on average) maybe get warmer and dryer weather in Cape Town later.

In the autumn (April/May) Cape Town first and Kruger second for the reverse reason. Mid summer or mid winter it probably doesn't make much difference.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: start at a or b

We also consider the flight timings and prices for our triangular trip to make the most of our time and money.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: start at a or b

Hi there

I think it will depends on where your first arrival would be. If you arrive in Johannesburg, like Dave said, try to spend at least 1night there and make your way to Kruger National Park. If you arrive in Cape Town, spend your time first here and then make your way to Kruger.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

6. Re: start at a or b

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 05:17