We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spend extra night on Garden Route or Johannesburg ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Spend extra night on Garden Route or Johannesburg ?

Following a conference in October in Cape Town I have planned a road trip with my wife & 18 month old daughter as follows: 1 night Franschhoek, 1 night Oudtshoorn, 2 nights Knysna, then 2 nights River bend lodge in Addo Elephant park. From River bend we fly to Johannesburg at lunch time and spend 1 night there before flying back to the Sydney the next afternoon.

I have had a change to my meeting schedule and we now have an extra day and night, with no plans, prior to our booking at Riverbend lodge. I am trying to decide whether to spend another night on the Garden route, or use it to stay another night in Johannesburg and see a little more of that city.

Not sure what would be best so any advice welcome. Thanks

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spend extra night on Garden Route or Johannesburg ?

I would spend another night at RiverBend Luxury Lodge - magic!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Spend extra night on Garden Route or Johannesburg ?

Garden Route!

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spend extra night on Garden Route or Johannesburg ?

My vote would be for the Garden Route, too.

Tracey, Owner / Director, Travel Butlers

Edited: 08 September 2011, 16:59
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spend extra night on Garden Route or Johannesburg ?

I thought that might be the answer.

We are only transiting through Johannesburg for one night each way, and I feel that perhaps we are being a little narrow in our experience of South Africa by not seeing more of it.

But all I really know of to do that would interest me is to visit Soweto, are there any other "must do /see" things to do there? Remember we have a toddler with us.

5. Re: Spend extra night on Garden Route or Johannesburg ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 14:18