We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Winelands Lunch spots

Coventry, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Winelands Lunch spots

Well we are counting down the days to our regular trip to the Cape in November. I thought that I would ask the local TA experts and tourists alike, what are your favourite lunch spots in the Winelands area. Over our break we will be staying 1 night in Stellenbosch and 3 nights in Franschhoek (my favourite valley). We enjoy the wine tasting but are not experts just enjoy, although a big part of our holiday is chilling out with a nice lunch, a nice location always helps. It need not be the top recommended 5 star gastronomic lunch but just your favourites.

Every year we have booked a reservation at la Petite Ferme and always enjoyed the food and the incredible views, recent years we have dropped in at the Goat Shed at Fairview, although a commercial operation a good lunch with very good food (never mind the cheese platters!) Previous visits we have lunched at Spier, le Bon Vivant (Evening) Mon Plasir, Mon Rochelle, & Haut Cabriere cellar, to name a few. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad lunch experience when in the area, but it would be good to know your favourites.

We are in Franschhoek over the week-end so we may have to book, we leave Stellebosch on a Monday to drive towards Gordon’s bay so that we can drive the fantastic coast road to Hermanus although I was thinking of a lunch stop before we reach Gordon’s Bay. Any up to date news, or recommendations which will help me plan for our forthcoming trip would be much appreciated.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,068 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Winelands Lunch spots

Jim

How about the following very recent thread for starters. Look at my summary in post #2 -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312659-i9466-k474…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Winelands Lunch spots

Hi there Jim

Have a look at these websites and shop around for some good estates. www.wineroute.co.za , www.franschhoek.org.za , www.winecountry.co.za , www.wellington.co.za . And do some window shopping.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Winelands Lunch spots

Hi Jim, Here are some of our wineland recommendations from our visit earlier this year - George Jardine's at Jordans, the Long Table at Haskell and Clos Malverne, all great lunch spots with lovely views from the terrace and all in Stellenbosch.

Have a great trip.

Coventry, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Winelands Lunch spots

Many thanks hank2011 , lots to choose from on these site, also cvh273 three very good suggestions I might look in at Clos Malvere, I have read a few more reviews about this location for the views and food.

Also thanks you Van_De_Cab for the link to a recent thread on your replies to a similar question, plenty to ponder and look into before our trip. That is the problem, so many good places to visit!

I still have your Hout bay restaurant guide which you posted in 2009? On this you recommended the Thai restaurant “Kitima” which we visited last year (midweek) only to find it full, so just had drink in the bar. A really smart restaurant with a good atmosphere when we stay in Hout bay this year we will definitely make a reservation. (Anything new opened in Houts bay recently?)

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
825 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Winelands Lunch spots

During our May 2010 winelands tour we had a very nice scenic lunch at the Delaire Graff Estate Restaurant.

6. Re: Recommended Winelands Lunch spots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 16:17