We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland Tours

Nelson, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Overland Tours

Hey everyone. I am looking to go to South africa in the spring. I have found some overland tours that look nice. I would like to hear from anyone that has done one and could recommend some. Id like to leave from Victoria Falls and go to cape town. Id something thats fairly exciting and has some action to it. Anything would be helpful! Thank you.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overland Tours

Hey Kayla,

There are quite a number of operators that offer Cape/Vic trips, and the return leg. I think you can look at Jenman and Intrepid for starters, but there are several good ones. Maybe if you request comment on specific products, you might get some more focused suggestions.

However, the direction Cape to Vic is the more popular routing (for several good reasons). You're more likely to find trips running in that direction, and have less chance of a trip being cancelled due to insufficient numbers.

When looking at various offers, be careful to check inclusions and exclusions. A number of operators like excluding a whole herd of things to make their pricing look more attractive. It's also worth checking on the current pricing of additives, because optional activity prices are sometimes deliberately out-dated in order to make the deal look more atteactive.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overland Tours

Hi Kayla

My name is Jess and I work at Nomad Adventure Tours.

Bushkid is absolutely spot on with his advice to you regarding the direction of the tour and what to look at when you're deciding on which tour to choose.

The kinds of activities that you can expect to partake in on this particular route are (depending on the operator that you choose, you will find that some of these activities are included in the tour cost, some of them are included in a local payment / activity package and some of them are optional activities:

Vic Falls - bungee jumping, white water rafting, walking with lions, elephant back safari and a cool night out at Shoestrings! ;)

Botswana: Chobe River boat cruise - where you can watch elephants and crocs from the comfort of your boat.

Okavango Delta: Nature walks, mokoro (local dugout canoe) rides

Different Cultures: Bushmen experience and Himba Village visit

Etosha National Park game viewing

Desert Experiences: Dunes and canyons in Sossusvlei and Sesriem (climb a dune at sunrise)

Swakopmund: quadbiking, skydiving, horseriding

Orange River paddle

Fish River Canyon sunset

And there's more!!

You will have an absolutely amazing experience travelling through some of Africa's most scenic places!

Happy travel planning!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overland Tours

Hey Kayla,

We just did the 21day northern experience with Jenman and had the trip of our dreams. It starts in Capetown and ends in Vic Falls. I would say that is the way to go as if you do the tour in reverse 'Southern Experience' you may find the end less exciting than the start. When starting in Capetown you start more with the culture and landscape and end with the excitement of the animals. Nothing like being woken from your sleep in Etosha by a lion roaring in the distance, or hearing hippos graze around your tent as you sleep. We took 7400 pictures in the five weeks we were there so be prepared with spare batteries and memory cards for your camera.

Cheers,

Bruce

4. Re: Overland Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 19:19