We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verlorenkloof

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Verlorenkloof

Can anyone tell me what the journey from Oliver Tambo Airport to Verlorenkloof Nature Reserve will be like? I notice that the final stretch will be dirt road. How long should I allow for the journey and are there places to rest en route, considering we have young children with us? Thanks for your help!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verlorenkloof

I assume you'll be taking the N12 and then the N4? The parts of the journey that are on those national roads (motorways) will be "smooth sailing".

I'm not sure about the roads after that. It looks like you'll probably take the R36? I haven't driven on that road. I did take the R540 to Dullstroom earlier this year. A reasonably well maintained bit of road, although you still have to be alert to avoid the odd pothole. Some of the local tarred roads around Dullstroom were VERY potholed and in a poor condition, with gravel roads actually providing a better surface.

The dirt road should be fine. Just be careful if it has deep gravel along the sides. If you car's rear wheels get caught in that when going around a curve, you could lose control. Same for if it is raining and the road is slippery. Normal precautions. If you want to make sure that the road will be OK for the type of car you'll be driving, I'd say contact the people at Verlorenkloof and ask them.

I'd say if you allowed three and a half hours to four hours for the journey, you should be fine.

There are a few service stations (petrol stations with convienience stores and restaurants) along the N12 and N4. You could also stop in Witbank or in Machadodorp along the way, but Witbank isn't a very picturesque place, and Machadodorp is pretty close to where you are going anyway.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verlorenkloof

Is the reserve you are going to called "Verlorenkloof" or "Verlorenvallei"?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Verlorenkloof

This is a very easy drive.

Leaving OR Tambo you should follow the signs for the R21S Boksburg, Benoni and East. After a very short distance follow the N12 Benoni. You are now on the main urban motorway network. The first few miles of the N12 are currrently having an additional lane added so the traffic is a little slow. But no great problem as in the morning it is all coming in the opposite direction. You are going out of town. This is shortly over and you gat on the main N12 motorway. You can average close to the speed limit now (120kph).

Follow the N12 for around 100km (less than one hour) and you come to the N4. Follow this in the direction of Nelspruit. After a while this changes to main highway rather than motorway but still 4 lanes. BTW this is a toll road so be sure to have change and small notes to pay the regular tolls.

There is a good place to stop for lunch along here at Millys Trout Farm and Truck Stop. This is after about exactly another 100km from the N12/N4 junction right on the highway. Nice place for kids with a big lake for trout fishing and a kids payground.

After lunch then it is only another 15 kms to the junction with the R36. Turn off here in the direction of Lydenburg. Travel about 25km along the R36 - a good well surfaced two lane road. Now you turn off onto 10km of gravel road but this type of gravel road is easy and well maintained as it is going to a well frequented resort. No more than 15 mins drive.

So the whole route from the airport without stops should take not much more than 3 hours. Add an hour for a lunch and refuel stop at Milly's and you should be there in 4 to 4:30 hrs.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Verlorenkloof

Thank you very much indeed for your helpful advice. You are very kind to share your information. This has put my mind at ease.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verlorenkloof

Thank you for your kind advice!

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Verlorenkloof

It is called verlorenkloof. The website says www.verlorenkloof.co.za

Thanks for your help! You are all very kind.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verlorenkloof

Ah I see. Then my directions (and those of Van_de_Caab) are correct.

8. Re: Verlorenkloof

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 06:17