We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

Hi guys,

First post...so go easy!

Just looking for some advice. I'm planning a surprise honeymoon for my fiancee in January 2012. I've sorted out arriving in Cape Town, then stop off's in Franschhoek, Swellendam, Plettenberg Bay then 2 days safari at Bukela Game Lodge outside Port Elizabeth.

Now...on the way back we are going to stay in De Kelders for 2 nights and 3 more in Cape Town before flying home. According to Google Maps, the drive from Bukela Game Lodge to De Kelders is 9 hours mostly along N2 until the R126 and R320. Am I mad to attempt this in one day? We will be up for setting off early and we are wanting to just chill and relax in our 2 days at De Kelders.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Chris

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

Hi Chris,

It's absolutely doable and the roads are fine. I've driven it often. Lovely drive. Relax and enjoy! And enjoy Bukela (I was the caretaker before it opened - LOL!)

Edited: 20 September 2011, 13:21
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

Thanks...that's reassuring.

How is the road for scenery etc? I hear the R62 is a nice road to drive, but I think that would increase our journey time on that day by a couple of hours?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

Hi there

That would be correct, it will increase your journey time with way more driving via the R62 route. The scenery from Plettenberg bay to Mosselbay is very good along the coastline. The coastline stops at Mosselbay and then you will be heading inland. Albertinia will be the next town and they are very famous for the Aloe Vera products. Specializing in Skin Care Products and bath lotions and so much more that will come in handy for that few days of just wanting to unwind and relax after that long drive. The total drive time will be about 9hours including a lunch stop.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

Unless you wish to waste your money, it is not a good idea. Check out time at Bukela will be around 11.00am. Yes, you obviously can leave at 6am, nobody is forcing you to stay, but then you will miss your last game drive and 1/2 a days meals and entertainment, your last outdoor shower. Private game reserves are not cheap. You really should maximise your time there, by arriving at the check-in time and leaving at the check-out time.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

If you have not yet booked your accommodation, I would miss out your stop in Swellendam on your journey to the Garden Route and add a night in Oudtshoorn on your way to De Kelders. This will allow you to leave the game lodge after your game drive and break a VERY LONG drive. You can then drive from Oudtshoorn along the R62 and the Tradouw Pass to the N2 and make your way to De Kelders.

Alternatively, You could drive from Franschoek to Oudtshoorn. Then drive to Bukela and stop in Plettenberg Bay on your way back.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

Just an update on this....

We got up at 5 and did our last game drive at Bukela. We then had breakfast, checked out and had a bit of a mix up over our bill. All was resolved wonderfully well but it did make our departure slightly later than planned. We left at around 12.30 and made it to De Kelders for sunset at around 8pm. We also stopped for lunch and for half an hour at Stoney Point to check out the penguins.....it's a very doable journey, just a bit tiring!

7. Re: Bukela Game Lodge (PE) to De Kelders in 1 day....am I mad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:17