We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

geneva
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

Hello to all,

we are looking at camps in the area in order to go and track wild dogs in the Venetia Reserve (this is an organized activity from what we understand).

Would anybody have suggestions in terms of lodgings nearby, for 2 people, preferably self catering?

thanks for all comments and suggestions,

Caviar

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

I stayed at the nearby Mosethla Bush Camp in 2010. A great option to consider for good accommodation. Just a word of concern - during my stay, I enquired about doing the wild dog tracking, and I was advised that this activity is no longer available. As I said, this was last year, but if I were you I would just confirm the status quo before travelling all that way, if you are specifically going for this activity.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

Hi Caviar,

You can try Mapungubwe National Park. They have quite a nice camp there (Leokwe), with some interesting activities.

sanparks.org/parks/…accommodation.php

I know mfuwe spent some time at the park recently, but I suspect he's out of range at the moment.

I'm just trying to find out the current status of the wild dog project. I know that it has faced some challenges and closed temporarily, but think it may have reopened (unfortunately the contact person is not available at the moment).

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

Hi Tanya,

Just saw your post as I posted.

Are you referring to Mosetlha Bush Camp or Mopane Bush Camp?

Mopane Bush Camp is near Venetia (www.mopanebushlodge.co.za).

Mosethla Bush Camp is in Madikwe (500kms away), if I'm not mistaken.

Edited: 26 September 2011, 09:47
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

My apologies!!I meant MOPANE Bush Lodge!

Tanya *owner * Africa Direct

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

LOL! Tanya! And Mopane is a great place ...

I've just spoken to the coordinating officer of the Venetia Wild Dog project, and the project is still on ice. The dogs have been removed. It looks like it might become a viable project once the Transfrontier park becomes a reality.

In the meantime, it might be worth looking at Tuli Block in the hopes of seeing dogs (as far as I know, the Tuli dogs are not monitored/tracked, but there is a good possibility of finding some in the area). Some great lodges up in the area, some with self-catering options (Nokalodi, for example).

And Mapungubwe remains a fair option for possibly seeing dogs.

Russell - Green Bushpig Safaris

Edited: 26 September 2011, 10:54
geneva
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

Thanks Tanya and Russell, I had no idea the program had been discontinued!

As a matter of fact we will be spending 4 nights in Tuli , a 3rd visit, at the Serolo camp and the stopover in Venetia was to also break up the trip between Tuli and Hazyview..and you are right, wild dogs have been seen in Tuli for the past 18 months or so, so maybe we'll just get lucky this time...I think we'll now look at stopping somewhere near Louis Trichardt (but will try to stay away from Madi a Thavha and Leshiba, which we highly recommend -we just need to try some new places!)...maybe Shiluvari...

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

I agree that Shiluvari with its' tranquil setting is a very good option!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

8. Re: wild dogs at Venetia Nature reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 06:17