We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for PE/ safari/CPT and luggage questions-on SAA

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
104 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Packing for PE/ safari/CPT and luggage questions-on SAA

Hi,

We will be packing for our trip to PE, Hlosi Lodge and Cape Town in just a few short weeks-very excited! I have combed thru the forums and have not seen anything recent about this, so am going to ask, since I know policies change. I plan to travel with expensive camera equipment that I will not check for obvious reasons. I have read that SAA has a restriction of 18lbs for the one carry-on. I travel extensively and have not experienced having to have my carry-ons weighed, except for a handful of times and that was for weight/balances on very samll aircraft. My question is we will be flying on the flight from Washington to PE then from PE to CPT and from CPT to JNB to return home. Will SAA and SA Express (who I believe is operating these flights) weigh the carry-ons and if so, how strict are they if my bag was say 5lbs over? My other thought was to load some items into a photo vest and wear it thru secuty until I board...

My other question is packing for the weather in mid-November, can it still be prett chilly in the evenings near PE and while on safari there? And for Capr Town? I am looking for tips on how to pack light, but to be prepared.

Thanks!

Sue

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for PE/ safari/CPT and luggage questions-on SAA

I can only comment on our experience, and we did not have our carry-ons weighed a single time, including a flight on a rather small plane. As for the weather, my wife and I were in Capetown in August and they were in the middle of a fairly mild winter. It only got really cold on one or two days.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for PE/ safari/CPT and luggage questions-on SAA

I stayed at Bukela (Hlosi sister lodge) in February. On our last morning, another guide had finally located the cheetah. We hauled off ay quite a pace as we were quite far away. That was quite a chilly drive in an open landcruiser.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
104 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing for PE/ safari/CPT and luggage questions-on SAA

Good to know they didn't weigh anything, I will still try to keep things close to the limit-just in case...

And also interesting that the weather seems to bounce all over, I guess we need to prepare for some temperature swings with layers and I need to buy another pair of zip-off pants :-).

Thanks!

Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
389 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing for PE/ safari/CPT and luggage questions-on SAA

I fly fairly extensively and have had my carryon weighed and size checked every time by SAA in Joburg. I have had it weighed several times in CPT also. I would be careful and keep it as close as possible. I have seen someone turned round with a 9.2kg just before going through security where they do seem to recheck (in Joburg). I often fly on the 'commuter' flights in terms of time so this may be one reason.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing for PE/ safari/CPT and luggage questions-on SAA

I too had my hand luggage weighed at Cape Town on SAA, although it was an international flight

6. Re: Packing for PE/ safari/CPT and luggage questions-on SAA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 22:18