We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

Hi everyone

I am travelling to South Africa with my husband next October for a family wedding in Tala near Durban.

We were considering doing a tour of South Africa for safety reasons after this. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a company to use. We do not want to camp and we are in our early 30's. Not interested in being on a tour with senior's obviously but at the same time am not looking for a Contiki type holiday.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Was thinking of Cape Town, Zimbabwe and similar.

Thank you!

Hike Table Mountain
Hiking & Camping Tours, Climbing Tours
Ridgway Ramblers
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
AWOL Tours
City Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
OTC Adventures
Cultural Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Hiking & Camping Tours
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

There aren't many tours available. There are the overland camping type tour which you don't want to go on. Quite a few of the other tours originate in other countries.

The local company to look at is www.springbokatlas.co.za/scheduled_tours.php

Something different are the train tours http://www.shongololo.com/

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

If safety is your only concern, I would read the posts of thousands of travellers to South Africa and would consider self-driving.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

Clare if you don't want to go on a bus tour but you stil want some kind of guided tour, you don't have to find a tour with a set departure and itinerary. Find an operator or DMC who can help you put together a suitable itinerary combining the destinations you want to visit. You can quite easily fly to Cape Town, spend a few days there exploring the sights with a private vehicle and tour guide just for you, then fly to Kruger for a guided safari (or stay at a private game lodge) and from there fly to Victoria Falls, and once again all your tours and transfers can be taken care of there. No need to drive yourself, and no need to find a specific tour with a set itinerary and big tour bus.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

Like the others, I'd recommend hiring a car and doing a self-drive tour - its perfectly safe and lots of tourists do it - just have a read on the forums and you will see how popular this option is.

Seeing as you will already in Kwa Zulu Natal, consider the north coast St Lucia/ Hluhluwe and the Drakensberg mountains. Good options for safari, diving & great beaches.

Cape Town is fantastic as well - you could fly from Durban to Cape Town & spend a week there. One good thing about Cape Town is that it has a hop on ho off bus, a small city centre and better public transportation and more tourist tours than other cities, so if you REALLY dont want to drive, you could spend a week there without hiring a car.

australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I am not keen on driving as my husband doesn't drive. My South African friend has told me about how you cant stop your car in the cities as people have been car jacked and killed. I understand that this is not the "norm" but he has made me quite paranoid about driving.

Is Kruger worth going to be or should I stay near Durban?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

Kruger is absolutely worth visiting. From Durban, you can either fly to Nelspruit or to Johannesburg, and join a guided Kruger Park safari from there. Google 3-day Kruger National Park safari or something like that.

Another option if budget allows is to fly to Nelspruit and stay at a private game lodge within the greater Kruger National Park, where all game drives are included. Your tour operator will be able to arrange road transfers from Nelspruit airport to the lodge.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

East London, South...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

Hi,

There are verious options you could opt for, the overland tours vary depending what company you go for, some have tours where they stay in lodges and chalets (Drifters), just take your own sleeping bag for instance and then those that you camp.

You could get a tour down through the Wild Coast and into the Eastern Cape and do a value for money safari in the Eastern Cape. Then continue down into the Garden Route and to Cape Town. There is alot to do on this route and you can do it guided or self drive. Generally there are only specific areas in the cities one would recommend not to go to where there is a possible threat of danger but this is very uncommon with visitors as they usually are staying well away from these areas anyway.

Obviously this does depend on your time restraints.

I hoep this helps a bit.

Kind regards

Neil

Lyon Tours & Safaris

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

I think where you want to go and what you want to do depends a lot on how much time you have to travel. Remember that South Africa is like Aus, it’s huge and if you try and see too much you will end up seeing nothing.

FYI I got married at Tala and it was a great venue.

I would suggest maybe doing Natal and seeing things in the area

St Lucia www.stluciasouthafrica.co.za

Game Parks www.kznwildlife.com/

Scuba Diving www.agulhashouse.com and www.amoraydiving.com

For a small personalised tour try Mike Techet who runs his own company info@uvongo.com and he could advise you on Cape Town as well.

After Natal I would fly down to Cape Town for the remainder of my trip.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

Look at the baz bus, a one ticket hop on hop off bus. http://www.bazbus.com/

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

10. Re: Tour in South Africa for a couple in early 30s - no camping.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:16