We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

I have an 8 hour layover should i stay at the airport? Is it safe? Is there much to do?

Are there secure transit lounges?

I'm a female solo traveller.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

100% safe. I know the book store there was 1st rate. I got a book there I had been looking for in the US and not found. Also pretty good shopping. But 8 hours.....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

Thank RobLaw :)

Very reassuring! A good book and some coffee should make 8 hours shrink.

Did you check you baggage to your next flight and get comfy or did you store it?

Caz

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

I have stored it there, but nOt for so short a time. I would check the airport website for a shower or possibly think about renting a hotel room close to the airport.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

No problem at all in JNB. You can buy your way into the Premier Lounge for somewhere around $30. You'll have a comfortable place to sit, have snacks and internet service if you want it.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

JNB is a great airport. Perfectly safe. Lots of shopping, from souvenirs to clothes to music to books, bars, good restaurants. I've spent 8 hours at a lot of airports and don't think I'd have a problem occupying myself there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

Thank you all for sharing your experience in JNB airport!

Caz

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

The Premiere Lounge mentioned above is a good value for a long layover. Free food and drinks. TV. Newspapers. Internet, if you have your laptop. You reach it AFTER going through Security into the Departures concourse (the one with all the duty-free shops). It is upstairs, and you will see an overhead sign showing how to reach it.

But the more important answer to your question is - please do not believe that there is any reason at all to feel unsafe inside those Terminal buildings.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 04 December 2011, 15:40
Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

Where are you flying on to, Carol? Can you route your baggage straight through?

9. Re: 8 hour layover at Jo'burg airport. Safe to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2012, 10:19