We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

Flying from India for 15 nights (just changed my itinerary).before was for 10nights. 2adults and a 3yr old.

First of all thanks to all contributors of other SA forums. There was an ocean of fantastic suggestions. it helped me a lot.

My itinerary (self drive) route 62 -Garden route -Addo -Kruger

4ngts CT

1ngt Montagu

2 ngt Oudtshoorn

2ngt Knysna (day trip to wilderness,plett bay i guess???)

2ngt Addo

3ngt Kruger

1ngt Joberg

---------------------------------------------------

My questions -

1) driving is safe as i read from other forums. One thing i did not understand is to pull off on yellow line(is it legal) if a car at the back wants a side or lights at you. and a hard shoulder is safe.??(is it to check out on other vehicles on the left before letting the back car pass)

2) Booking on our own for all car hire, B&Bs, self catering OR game lodge accomodations is cheaper than hiring an agent in SA to do it for you.???????. Day trips i might rope in an agent in CT but not for the whole trip.

3) For CT should i stay for 2 ngt near V&A and 2 ngts near Boulders etc.??????

3) Camp fig tree in Addo is what i have shortlisted as per my budget. what say ????

4) Kruger- Kwa Mbili lodge is what i have shortlisted. I asked they will arrange a special game drive for my daughter. And she coudl join on the Kruger tour they offer on the 3rd day.

5) drop my car hire in PE and leave for Kruger and forth.

---------------------------------------------------

weather i know will be cold so i might change the itinerary as i mentioned above to mid Sept -end Sept. which would be not that cold i guess.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,561 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

I've not stayed at Kwa Mbili - but I do think Thornybush Reserve is a good choice for wildlife viewing. What puzzles me, looking at their web site, is no mention of a morning game drive. The speak of a bush walk - which is fine. But not fine for every morning! Maybe you know otherwise. And I would stay in a chalet there. Winter chill might be more of a challenge in the tents than in the chalets, even with heaters in the tents. Speaking of your comment about cold August. It would be more of a problem in Cape Town - along with the short days that time of year. Moving to September, if you can get the winter rates in September (and most places do offer them), might be a good idea. On my recent trip to South Africa, I arrived at Cape Town on 18SEPT and weather was generally good for the next couple of weeks. But you never know.

Overall, I like the itinerary. 2 nights in Oudtshoorn suggests you plan to visit Cango Caves as well see the ostriches. I might shorten that to one night and add a night at Addo. As for splitting your nights in Cape Town, no real value to moving. Boulders Beach is a one-hour experience and not worth moving to Simonstown for that one reason alone. Finally - the yellow line. You will see it on the highways throughout the country and the expectation is that you will move over to the left, across the line, and allow a car (or truck) behind you to pass if they are traveling faster than you. They blink their lights in 'thanks' after they do. But - never pull over if you cannot see clearly down the roadway far enough to be positive that no pedestrians or slower-moving vehicles are already there. And when you come up on a slower-moving vehicle yourself, you can expect that same courtesy to be extended to you. Just be sure there's room to pass - that it's safe. And blink your lights when you have passed.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

1) Not legal, but everyone does it. Definitely not safe around corners.

2) I would book day trips when you get here. You need to do Table Mountain or your first great weather day. You might just decide to use the Hop On, Hop Off bus. Robben Island is the only thing that needs pre-booking.

3) I would stay in Addo Elephant National Park itself. To me staying in the game reserve is an essential part of the experience.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

thanks dave,

i have started to book my rooms for all locations. i have booked Cape Riviera for 4 nights for CT, Koo Karoo guest house for Montagu 1ngt, 2ngts De Denne Country guest house at Oudtshoorn. rest i am still looking around for Knysna and Addo.

naman

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
791 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

We found booking through an agent actually saved us money on the game lodges and made it easier to book the smaller locations that require money transfers for a down payment. We used carhire3000 to book the car because that cost less that the agent. We used Wild Wings and were very happy. We also stayed at De Denne and loved it. Be sure to do the meal in your room that they set up for you. It is listed on their web site. The farm tour was also a highlight of our trip I think your little girl will love seeing the babies.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

thanks mate,

i will look into the carhire website. Its great to know my little girl will love the farm, ostriches etc. I have booked Kwa Mbili lodge for Kruger. For Knysna its the Lofts Boutique hotel and Addo still its not decided.

cheers

naman

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
791 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

I forgot to add this. Cottage 5 is the largest and is also near the playground. Just a swing or 2 from what I can recall but nice to have it near by.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

hi dave,

i did drop a night in Oudtshoorn and added a night in ADDO.

naman

8. Re: Trip to SA in Aug-Sept 2012.suggestions????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2012, 10:19