We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

western cape advice

Manchester
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
western cape advice

We're heading for our second trip to the western cape in mid Feb. The first trip involving 3 weeks heading along r62 ending up at addo then returning along the garden route. Easily best destination we've been to. Expensive though as I was enjoying myself so much that I ended up proposing.

This time I'm planning a few different, less visited destinations and hopefully the knowledgeable on here can offer advice.

1) we generally stay mid range but I'd like a 'knock the missus out' type venue for a night in franschhoek, I'm looking at la cabriere country house, mont rochelle hotel or le quartier francais to stay and 'tasting room' for the meal.

2) I'm piecing together a loop up the west coast, inland then down, currently comprising Paternoster, Eland's bay, Cederberg WA, Citrusdal. Have I missed any gems? Are these places good choices?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Simon, UK

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,467 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: western cape advice

I think you answered your own question:

"...le quartier francais to stay and 'tasting room' for the meal..."

But we need to hear from the gourmets on the forums. The Tasting Room has had some comments that it was too expensive for what the traveling tasters were served.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,082 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: western cape advice

If you really want to "knock your missus out" with somewhere really special look at the Babylonstoren Estate about 10-15 mins drive out of Franschoek towards Paarl. Opened about a year ago as one of the most exclusive new esates in the Winelands. Quiet and isolated and beautifully designed accomodation. Incorporating a lovely 18th Century Manor and one of the best new gardens in South Africa.

Also has the excellent Babel Restaurant currently one of my very favourite places in the Winelands - innovative and creative food but with emphasis on health.

http://www.babylonstoren.com/

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: western cape advice

All great! Toured Babylonstoren a couple of months ago for a foodie trip we will be taking next year. Stayed at Mont Rochelle...lovely. And had the Tasting the LFQ. We thought it was terrific value for what we got. The chef at Babylonstoren was the sous chef at LFQ so you'll be in good hands either way. Had a great lunch with the husband at Glen Carlou winery. There is a beautiful patio overlooking the vineyards. Great art gallery there as well. Enjoy!

4. Re: western cape advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 10:19