We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realistic travel plans for 2 weeks in South Africa

Boston
Level Contributor
119 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Realistic travel plans for 2 weeks in South Africa

I'm looking to book a 2 week trip to South Africa. I'm starting some of the planning and have read a lot so far. Can someone tell me if this plan sounds realistic and enjoyable with the time frames allotted?

About 5 days in Cape Town including vineyard tours

3 days in Kruger National Park in a private game reserve

2 days at Victoria Falls

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Realistic travel plans for 2 weeks in South Africa

Sounds good and I hope you enjoy it. The days allocated to each of the places you intend to visit are spot on.

Vic Falls are not in South Africa though; the Falls border Zambia and Zimbabwe. If you intend travelling as per your route, i.e. Cape Town first then Kruger then Vic Falls, presume you plan to fly to Livingstone (Zambia) from Nelspruit (South Africa) to see the Falls. From memory I think that's about a four and a half hour flight so you will need to factor into your time-frame plus your road travel from the game lodge to Nelspruit airport.

Depending on which game lodge you are staying at, Hoedspruit, rather than Nelspruit, may be the closest airport in which case you can fly directly Hoedspruit to Livingstone. These are small airports and the flights may not be as regular as you'd like. Distances are vast so bear this in mind as you don't want to spend your time in cars or planes.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Realistic travel plans for 2 weeks in South Africa

It is realistic, but ambitious and expensive. There are direct flights from Cape Town - Nelspruit, and there is a direct flight Nelspruit - Livingstone (Zambia) three times a week. That needs some good planning and a lot of money and time spent on planes. Distances are huge, I think each flight takes approximately 2.5 h. So suppossing you fly from Boston, you'll probably have at least 2 stopovers to Cape Town count on something like 24h of flight. On the way back from Livingston, you'll probably need also need 24 h to Boston.

Edited: 24 December 2011, 09:39
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Realistic travel plans for 2 weeks in South Africa

Most travelers to Victoria Falls leave from Johannesburg - and all the flights from JNB to VFA (or LVI - Livingstone, Zambia on the opposite side of the Falls) leave mid to late morning. An early morning arrival at JNB on the SAA flt from JFK might make it possible for you to continue on to the Falls that morning.

It is not possible to fly to the Zimbabwe side from anywhere but Johannesburg. The flight from Nelspruit to Livingstone mentioned above is expensive.. $400 to $460PP is the fare for dates next year. And it leaves at 1135AM, which means you barely have enough time for a morning game drive at one of the private reserves if you want to take that flight. No breakfast, just hop out of the game drive vehicle into the van that would be taking you to the Nelspruit airport.

From Cape Town, it is possible to fly same day to Vic Falls. 720AM departure from CPT connecting to the British Airways flt from JNB to VFA. That works. Of course, if you arrive at JNB on the Delta flt from ATL or the SAA flt from IAD, you will be coming in late afternoon. Stay the night at an airport hotel and fly the next morning to Victoria Falls - nice and rested from your overnight of sleep. Long answer, but important to point out that going to the Falls and back also squeezes time from other activities.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

4. Re: Realistic travel plans for 2 weeks in South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 10:18