We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African Arts/Crafts Shopping

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
African Arts/Crafts Shopping

Are there any African arts and crafts shopping areas easily accessible from the Emperors Palace Resort? We have gone on the Soweto tour before. Are there other 1/2 day or so tours that we should consider? Thank you.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

You can go to the East Rand Mall in Boksburg. Only 10 minutes from Emperor. Across the mall is a big flea market where you can find all sort of stuff. Chinese most of them but also some African arts.

You can do the Pretoria tour and visit the Voortrekker Monument that is very impressive, the Union Buildings were people are selling some arts and crafts. Very nice half day tour.

Kind regards

Agnes

Felleng Tours

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

There are a number of local markets around, but none on the direct vicinity of Emperors Palace.

I think Bruma flea market is probably the closest. Other options include the Rosebank Craft market and Chameleon Market out near Hartebeespoort Dam. Probably the best place to buy curios is Cambanos in Midrand (huge selection and good prices, but not a flea market.

Chameleon is probably a bit far out, whereas you can get to Rosebank using the Gautrain.

Pretoria certainly is a far more interesting city to visit if you're looking for a half-day tour or full day tour, and the Voortrekker Monument (as mentioned by Agnes) definitely rates as one of the most magnificent monuments in the country (and provides an extremely fascinating insight into a very important historical phase of SA's history). Other worthwhile visits are the National Cultural Museum, Union Buildings, the Natural History Museum and a host of intriguing museums). You can buy curios at the Union Buildings or Nat. Cultural Museum.

Other tours you can consider are the Cullinan Diamond Mine, Elephant Sanctuary, De Wildt Cheetah Sanctuary, Bushbabies monkey sanctuary, etc.

Hope this helps.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,825 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

If you have a Sunday morning available, driving to the Rosebank area would give you a great weekly market to visit plus the regular vendors who are there all the time.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

Seeing we've broadened out from the East Rand:

http://marketonmain.co.za/

http://www.neighbourgoodsmarket.co.za/

If the Gautrain is running to Park Station by the time you get here, you may be able to use the train plus a (Gautrain) bus.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

Bruma flea market is at the moment under construction and no market at all.

I agree with you about the other options but I do not know how much time you have. Some of the tours are a bit far away and have scheduled tours, I also like the National Cultural Museum. Bushkid you described the Pretoria tour very good.

Rosebank always a good option to visit for arts and crafts and easy to get there with the Gautrain.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,825 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

Thanks for those! I know the Old Biscuit Mill in Cape Town very well but these are new to me..

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

As you specifically want curios and African art, I'd suggest only Rosebank. The Rooftop Market on Sundays offers best choice, but there are few stalls available all week in the African Craft Market outside Rosebank Mall.

You can take the Gautrain to Rosebank (changing trains in Sandton). Emperors has a shuttle to the airport for Gautrain. But if possible, you can ask the shuttle to take you to the Rhodesfield station, which is few mins from the airport, and much cheaper to travel from, as there is no airport levy added.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

SepSep, thank you for your insights. Our schedule probably will not allow for us to be in JoBurg on a Sunday. Most likely it will be on a Weds, or Thursday. Do you think there are enough open stalls accross from Rosebank to find some quality momentos? I have read about Welwitischia Country Market by Hartbeespoort Dam, but it looks pretty upscale and not really African Crafts and Arts? What is your opinion? or do you have other suggestions? We do not mind hiring a driver as we would to go to Welwitischia. Thank you.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

The crafts that you find at Cameleon Village near Hartebeespoortdam is the same crafts that you find at Rosebank just on a bigger scale. Rosebank African Market would be the best option.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: African Arts/Crafts Shopping

I would go to the East Rand Flea Market about ten minutes to where you staying and you will find everything there .

Enjoy

Celeste-Owner Taga Safaris Africa