We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

Hello! We are arriving at 7 am at Joburg Airport and leaving by train for Cape Town just after lunch.Is it possible to take a train to get between the two? Kind regards, Gabriel

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

I think you meant that you are leaving from Parktown station and not Sandton. The Gautrain is going from the airport to Sandton and Rosebank. From there you still need to get a taxi to take you to Parktown station for you train to Cape Town. I suggest you take a taxi direct from the airport to the station. The taxi also can show you where to go once he dropped you off. This is if you leaving on the Premier Classe to cape Town.

Agnes

Felleng Tours

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

Thank you for your quick response, Agnes. Yes, we plan to take the Premier Class as you say. It's our first time in South Africa and i hoped we'd be able to take public transport- however, we can go via taxi.

Gabriel

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

Public transport to Parktown station is not so good and the area is also not so good. The train is very popular and I think you will enjoy it. The best is to take direct a taxi then you do not have to struggle with luggage on a train and also it will not safe you a lot of money. The cost of a taxi from the airport to Parktown station will be more or less R400 - R450 one way. You will find taxis outside the airport standing in the street.

Enjoy your trip in South Africa. You will not be dissapointed and once here you want to come back again. South Africa has so much to offer.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

Hi Gabriel,

I agree with Agnes that in your case, it will probably be more convenient to catch a taxi from the airport to the station.

However, IF the Gautrain's operations have been extended to Park Station by the time you travel, then the reverse will be true. It will be cheaper, quicker and more convenient to use the Gautrain (I don't know when you will be travelling). There is sufficient luggage space on the train.

However, the railway station is called Park Station, not Parktown Station (just to clear up any confusion).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

Thank you, Bushkid!

We intend to fly into Johannesburg on 12th April and go down to Cape Town that day. I was unable to find when the Gautrain service begins when I was on the site.

I apologise for my inaccuracies.

Kind regards,

Gabriel

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

At the moment the Gautrain is only going to Sandton and Rosebank. I also do not know when the train will go to Park Station. (sorry for the wrong name). There were some technical problems. May be by that time the Gautrain is up and running.

Agnes

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread, but we wanting to go on the Premier trains, but seem can't book it anywhere! We've tried their website, but after three attempts we've still not had a reply. How did you book it? TIA

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

We booked it via the website but Andre from African Sun Travel (africansuntravel.com) replied.

Good luck! When do you go?

Gabriel

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

Sorry for the delayed reply. We've also managed to book the train tickets through an agency. We're going end of March. How about you?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport between Jburg Airport and Sandton Station?

We're going April, just a few days after Easter. We've asked Andre for information on the train to Livingstone from Pretoria, too. Still waiting for that one!