We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suitable dress for daytime for female

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
suitable dress for daytime for female

on a cold , grey, wet, UK winter's day, I am slogging over a huge pile of holiday clothes ironing ,having just returned from 2 weeks cruise of the Caribbean. However, all is not doom and gloom ,as I am just hanging most of the clothes on a rail ready to be packed for SA in 3 weeks time!.

My usual holiday attire ,all over the world ,is shorts, and I plan to take linen trousers and fancy top for evenings and a smart sun dress for afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson. I assume I would not look out of place walking around Cape Town city in shorts looking a typical tourist,(as they do in London) , but what does one wear for wine tasting around Stellenbosch and Franschoek during the day? Are these events a bit more formal or attended by people who are just driving around

and casually stopping off ?

When I lived in SA 1968-1970, dress codes were a lot more formal than in Europe.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: suitable dress for daytime for female

South Africa, especially along the coast, can have quite cool temperatures at night in mid summer. So, don't leave all your warmer clothing behind.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suitable dress for daytime for female

I agree you may want one or two pairs of jeans for if/when the temperature drops. I doubt you'll need to worry about formality - when we threw off the oppression of apartheid we (happily) ditched its puritanism as well!

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suitable dress for daytime for female

Shorts are fine for wine-tasting too. In mid-summer, i'd expect to see lots of people wine tasting in shorts and t-shirts.

4. Re: suitable dress for daytime for female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:20