We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Dogs

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Dogs

Hi

I'm planning a safari for end Feb / early March this year and am primarily planning it with the view to the best chance to see Wild Dogs.

Where would you recomend?

Many Thanks

C

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Dogs

If a main objective of your visit to Africa is to see wild dogs, you'd do well to give some consideration to Selous, Tanzania. Last June I went to Selous specifically to see dogs (last saw one 5 yrs ago in Sabi Sand, 3 years prior to that 2 packs in Okavango Delta), one of my favorites, and the place did not disappoint. With about 1/3 of the world's population of wild dogs, that area is a great place to go to get that dog sighting, especially between June and August when denning occurs. In addition to the dogs, Selous can also give you a great boating safari experience, as well as the other wildlife (except cheetah, which you could see at Ruaha).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Dogs

www.bpctrust.org/wild-dog-conservation.asp

I'd agree with #1. Although I'll admit I don't know the areas for Dogs in South Africa, but parts of Botswana and the Selous are probably the best in the world.

If you want guaranteed sightings, you could try Namibia (Africat) or Edinburgh Zoo.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,728 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Dogs

www.wildwatch.com is a site where Rangers write about their sightings at AndBeyond camps - and they have been regularly seen in the Ngala reserve. Also at Exeter. Madikwe Reserve also has resident Wild dogs. But - my experience is like the above postings - more reliably found in Botswana and Selous, in TZ.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 15:14
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Dogs

The wild dogs were the one animal that eluded us on our trip to Ngala, but I can tell you that the rangers and trackers were on the hunt. It's sometimes just luck that makes sitings happen, and from everything else we saw, we were with the people who would have found a pack if they had been around. Sometimes, specific sitings just don't happen during during your four days and nature is making the call.

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Dogs

As far as South Africa goes, Madikwe in North-West province offers good opportunities for wild dog sightings. We've seen them several times in our trips there. We saw a 14 strong pack there last April on two consecutive days. Sadly, we missed them pulling down a kudu but we did see them feasting on it very soon after the kill.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Dogs

I agree that in South Africa, Madikwe offers the best chance of wild dog sightings.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Maun
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild Dogs

It is really refreshing to find someone interested in seeing animals other than the standard big 5. African Wild Dogs are one of my favourite animals and they are totally fascinating to watch. Any encounter with them is amazing.

If you want to see them in a truly wild environment then sightings are never guaranteed as they cover such huge distances. However, the Linyanti region in Botswana is one of the best places to find them.

There are 4 main camps there - Selinda and Duma Tau camps operated by Wilderness Safaris and Lagoon and Lebala Camps which are owned by Kwando safaris. The guides and trackers at all these camps are superb and would do their very best to find the wild dogs if they are in the area.

You might also want to have a look at the recent post on this forum by stokeygirl- she is another wild dog fan and has just written an excellent and very informative report on her recent trip to Botswana. She went to the Linyanti specifically to see the wild dogs and had some very good sightings.

Mark, Gondwana Tours & Safaris, Maun

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild Dogs

There have recently been regular wild dog sightings at Zikomo Safari Camp at SLNP. They think the wild dogs are denning in the general vicinity.

scotland
Level Contributor
258 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild Dogs

We loved the wild dogs & we saw them practically every day on our trip to Umlani - www.umlani.com - we follow them on fb & they still report regular sightings, so it might be worth you checking out (we did also see plenty of other wildlife, too)

I hope you have luck in finding them

Enjoy your trip

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wild Dogs

As said above it just depends on luck at the time.

Just returned from three weeks safari in SA, we had two amazing wild dog sightings in our first few days, in Kruger Park. Both times they were running along the road right in front of and around our car, one pack was nearly twenty strong.

After that had another fabulous sighting of a large pack in Timbavati which could be the same pack mentioned by girls above. The pack was very large and we got a great viewing. There are several camps there that traverse, and the dogs cover a large area though, as usual it all depends on the rangers and trackers finding them.

As Dave said they have been denning at Exeter and I believe that there is a new den now at Mala Mala, you could probably contact them about it., I think they will then stay in the same place for several months, greatly increasing your chances of a sighting.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 01:38