We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

yesterday we booked our luggage from PE through to Heathrow with a 5 hour layover at Jo'burg. My daughter has now realised that her luggage has been tampered with and a few items stolen. Fortunately laptop, cameras, mobiles etc were in her hand luggage .The worrying thing is that the case was still padlocked on arrival so it would seem that the thieves were able to pick open the locks which would take time ..

I have called SAA UK but you are put through to a call center that deals with all airlines, it seems that SAA does not speak directly with customers regarding baggage issues.

The call centre states that the procedure is that you get a crime number from your local or Heathrow police station, then go through your travel insurance. I can't see my local UK police being interested in a petty crime in SA. The Heathrow police line just goes dead after a few rings, and anyway, they have more important things to do such as counter terrorism etc. .

I also do not want to go through my travel insurance as it will only mean a higher premium on renewal.

I guess many travelers would just shrug their shoulders at the loss but as O R Tambo has such a bad reputation I feel that I would like to officially report the event to someone in the hope that something will eventually be done about this widely reported problem.

Even the CEO of SAA reported last year that theft at Tambo has got 'out of control' .

Any ideas how I can contact the correct people in SAA or the SA airport authorities please

Apart from this one event, we had a fabulous holiday in SA and I will be posting details in the next few days .

man of kent
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

we have heard a few stories like this, we always pay a few quid for the clingfilm wrapping service its only about 4 pounds per case but there are thieves everywhere i suppose. but then again i lost my coat with mobile phone etc on the plane so i thought, only for my guest house in Pretoria to return it to me on my return a year later ,i am a dimwit!!!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

So sorry that your excellent holiday should have been spoiled by this incident. I fail to understand why the authorities at JNB fail to get a grip of this awful situation. It's been going on for years & tarnishes the reputation of this fabulous country.

The cling film wrap appears to be the temporary answer but what an admission of defeat, or simply not caring.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

How about security cameras back-stage where the luggage is processed?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

The airport company is www.acsa.co.za

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

I use cable ties as well as padlocks just to be sure. If the padlock is a tsa one it can be opened with the correct tool with no one knowing.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

Regrettably if the case is zippered, then it's dead easy to open with nothing more than a ball pen, then it’s easy to reclose using the zip itself. Locks, tie wraps do absolutely nothing unless they are also attached to something fixed like a handle to stop the zip from moving. The method is even shown on U TUBE, so it’s probably common knowledge in the luggage handling fraternity.

At least film wrapping provides a modicum of security, and an indication that the case has been tampered with.

Ivan

London, United...
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

I did some work in Denmark recently, and a couple of people had luggage pilfered leaving Heathrow. There is not time to do it at the destination, as bags needs to leave the plane and hit the carousel pretty quickly.

There was a journalist who wrote into news24.com about this and the link was somewhere on this forum - will try and find it... Would be interesting to know whether he did the documentary on luggage theft in the end..

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

Sorry to hear of your daughter's bad experience.

However, I am concerned that the blame for such tamperings nearly always lies at the door step of South Africa (country, airport or national carrier ). I often comment on this topic. It's not called "Thief-row" for nothing. Theft has been and continues to be a problem at Heathrow, although things do seem to be getting better.

SAA will (like most airlines) probably pass you onto their handling agents as they do not move your baggage but rely on a third party to do so. Once your bags go down that chute, SAA staff do not handle them again. IMO, no point in contacting the airport authorities or SAA other than to ascertain their agents on arrival.

If you had discovered the break in at the time a different system would have swung into operation. However, who checks their baggage once it comes off the carousel looking OK? Did you speak to someone and inform them of your loss asap? If so make a note of who, where, when. Contact the handling agent and ask for a claim form. Why should you have to claim on your insurance when the baggage was in their care? Try being persistent. You have nothing to lose but time.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<"" You have nothing to lose but time."">>>>>>>>>>>>>.........& your personal belongings!!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to report luggage tampered with on SAA flight?

I have received an answer from ACSA this morning , admitting theft is a problem, how sorry they are, quoted some statistics of how the theft rate is gradually dropping and suggested I go back to SAA.

No mention if they were going to bother to check CCTV or find out who was on duty at the time etc. .

The theft is an irritation but what concerns me more is that the photocopy of my daughter's passport has gone missing!.

I know from working in the banking sector all my life, such personal details can be used for identity fraud. I plan to call the passport office tomorrow.

Another minor irritation is that my car hire company has invoiced me for an extra day's hire and charged an exorbitant rate for petrol. Fortunately, I took a 'photo of the fuel gauge to show how full it was on handover.

Husband's leg has become badly infected after knocking his shin on the Land Rover on safari. Doc. has prescribed 10 days antibiotic . It was very muddy at the game park and I expect the mud on the vehicle is contaminated with animal droppings.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ironing pile seems to be growing, more snow forecast and temperature -c.

Think I need to book another holiday!