We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the Busy Tourist/Local Holiday Season? Best time?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
When is the Busy Tourist/Local Holiday Season? Best time?

Hi,

I hoping that someone can help us out.

My husband and I are planning a trip to South Africa and are looking at when would be the best time to visit especially to visit Kruger National Park and see the Big 5.

We're a bit confused as each post/website says something different.

We're thinking end of July/August for 2 weeks but wanted to make sure that this wasn't a super busy tourist time or that the South African's aren't on their holidays during this time.

Any information or tips you can provide is appreciated.

thank you.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the Busy Tourist/Local Holiday Season? Best time?

We go at this time of year every two years. It is not South African school holidays and it is their winter so there are good off peak rates to be had in some places. However, it is European holiday season so some places will be popular as are some flights if you are coming via a European hub.

Cape town can be a bit cool but coming from Toronto that should not be a problem for you.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the Busy Tourist/Local Holiday Season? Best time?

August is a great time to visit the Kruger. The game viewing is great, there is no rain, most lodges will have low season rates and the temperatures are starting to warm up so your game drives will not be quite so cold though you will still need to wrap up with lots of layers.

In Cape Town it may still be cool and wet but there will be whales around and if you travel just a little north of Cape Town, there is a good chance of seeing spectacular displays of wild flowers.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the Busy Tourist/Local Holiday Season? Best time?

May I ask what about mid August 12-25 ?

Sounds like Cape Town is a bit wet and may not be enjoyable.

Also wondering about Victoria Falls, I read that it may not be as intense as the is far less water flow.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the Busy Tourist/Local Holiday Season? Best time?

Hi there

High season and when big volumes of people come here is from November to February. The rest of the year will be low numbers but more scenic. Like Mark said, whale season will be there from July to November, flowers on the west coast and more relaxed when doing the drives around the areas.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the Busy Tourist/Local Holiday Season? Best time?

Thank you all for your help! your information is very useful and we appreciate it.

6. Re: When is the Busy Tourist/Local Holiday Season? Best time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:25