We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

Göteborg
Level Contributor
14 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

We are travelling Botswana-Zimbabwe-Mozambique in december and january. We will stay on the major roads. Do we still need a 4x4 vehicle for our trip? Anyone who knows?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

Depend on what you call major roads. If you mean tar, then theoretically 4x4 is probably not necessary. However, given the state of some of the tar roads in Moz. with large potholes, and possibly the same in Zimbabwe now on lesser tar roads then I would recommend a 4x4. Also some places in Moz. ie beach side accommodation in Bilene for example can have access tracks off the tar which are dirt/clay/sand and tricky in the wet season. If you want to access any parks in Botswana too you need 4x4 and it would be preferable in Zim. parks at that time also. I would get one.

Göteborg
Level Contributor
14 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

We are six persons and we are having trouble finding a large enough 4x4. Four of us are tall. We are looking at a Landrover Discovery III but it looks hard to get good enough space in it. Any sudgestions regarding vehicle?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

The problem will be space for luggage. Are you staying in lodges or doing any camping? Even just personal luggage without any camping gear may be difficult to fit in if you have to utilise a rear fold down seat. You may need some sort of roof top luggage carrier fitted.

Hopefully more experienced 4x4 people will be able to advise further. It would help if you gave a more detailed itinerary too.

Göteborg
Level Contributor
14 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

We will start in South Africa from (Jo’burg), through Botswana to Vic falls (Chobe?), Zimbabwe (Vic falls – Hwange?--Bulawayo-Mutare) and Mozanbuique (beach/dive) and back to Jo’burg. We are travelling dec 20-jan 16.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

Hi Anders,

Just to add a factor into the mix ... (notwithstanding our earlier discussions

You've chosen one oif the more difficult periods to travel. It concides with the long summer vacations in SA. You trip will have to very well planned, to avoid complicxations. Remember that hire vehicles could be in sort supply.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

Hi Anders , January is a busy month. If you book now there will not be any issue though. You can hire fully equipped landrovers from companies in Johannesburg.

I would say renting a fully equipped 4x4 is a must. When you travel through Chobe the road are only dirt. Best camp is Savuti which is in the middle of Chobe and only accessible by 4x4.

I would say arrive in Jhb and go straight to Khama rhino sanctuary. From there go up to Maun. On the way you may want to spend a night on the salt pans or at Bains baobabs. From Maun to Savuti Camp and then across to Vic Falls where you access Zim by Kazangula. If you want to skip the Chobe game reserve or just do guided tours no 4x4 is required. I drove back from Vic Falls in a Ford Icon.

Once back in SA you can head to Komatipoort where cheap accommodation is available at sunset lodge. Although diving is good at Ponta in Mozambique, I would recommend heading to tofu near inhambane. Barra reef is close by. There is good diving with manta rays and whale sharks. If you have time there is great diving and snorkelling further up at vilanculos. It is also amazingly beautiful up there.

I would say having a 4x4 in Mozambique is essential for a good time. Lots of the good diving and snorkeling spots are only accessible by 4x4.

I know most of these places well let me know if you want tips on where to stay etc.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 19:23
7. Re: Need for 4x4 vehicle travelling southern africa in january

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:42