We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget safari

nj
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
budget safari

I have a budget of about $6,000 for the land portion of a week in Africa with my 3 kids (17-23 years old). We are flying in from New York City area. We wanted to do a safari for most of the trip but I'm not sure if we can get sometihng good enough for that budget. We are not committed to South Africa, we don't know anything about any African countries or safarias. Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
African Flame Safaris
Private Tours, Safaris
Kruger Flexi Tours - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Vula Tours
Private Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget safari

SA is an excellent choice for a first time visit to Africa and when you have a limited budget. You can keep costs down by self-driving which, given SA's great infrastructure, is easy (as long as you stay left!). You can self drive through Kruger National Park for the entire time you're there or combine some days in KNP with some days at a private reserve adjoining KNP (e.g., Sabi Sand or Timbavati). A combination would be my recommendation. You can look for accommodations for KNP at http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/ . Some good value camps in the adjoining reserves are Umlani, Ngala, Elephant Plains, and Arathusa. Take a look at the &Beyond camps which offer stay 4/pay 3 deals that could help with your budget ( andbeyondafrica.com/african_safari/south_afr… )

So, first make your decision on your destination; eliminating other possibilities will help unclutter your planning. You won't go wrong with SA. Then take a look at possible accommodations and decide how you can fit them into your budget. Good luck with your planning.

Mentioned in this post
Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget safari

Hello and I try and visit South Africa twice a year. I spend the majority of my time in KwaZulu Natal in the south east. The prvince to me has it, Beaches, Mountains and Bush all with stacks of flora & fauna. There are also plenty of budget options if you are happy to self drive. You might find www.safarikzn.com & www.kznwildlife.com useful. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget safari

For that budget you could really have a great trip in Kwa-Zulu Natal.

The first question that needs to be answered is do you want to self drive or have a guide. Having a guide is a great option but then does decrease your budget for the rest.

I would suggest the following

Day 1 pick up at the airport and driven up to Umfolozi Game Reserve

Day 2 and 3 at Umfolozi. Evening of the 3rd day move to Hilltop Camp

Day 4 and 5 spent in Hluhluwe Game Reserve

Night of the 5th and 6th spent in St Lucia and surrounding areas

Day 7 back towards Durban

All this would be okay with a guide and your transport including all the fuel and toll roads.

If you wanted to drive yourself you would be able to upgrade and go to Rocktail Beach Camp for scuba diving, turtle watching, sea safari etc.

Let me know if you would like me to give you a few names of Tour Operator that could set this up for you.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
4. Re: budget safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:40