We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vehicle rental

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Vehicle rental

It looks like a lot of people are having car rental problems and I am confused as what to do. I am flying into Durban and would like to rent Who should I rent from

Berkhamsted, United...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vehicle rental

We hired from Hertz in Durban last year (and Cape Town and Jo'burg) and had no problems.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vehicle rental

Hi there

The leading car rental company in SA is Avis and there are also Europcar and also Hertz.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vehicle rental

We have rented with Avis four times and not a single problem. Cars have been excellent and last one was brand new.

Prefer to use a well known reputable company with many offices around, but thats personal choice. Booked though their ZA site but used the international drivers rate and got full insurance etc for a cost much lower than it would be here in Aus.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vehicle rental

Check for extra charges for extra drivers or if you plan to cross borders to Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana etc.

When I first got a Holiday Autos quote a couple of weeks ago it would have been with Hertz who don't charge for a cross border certificate for Swaziland while when I actually booked today during their 25% off sale I was placed with Europcar who do charge 750 rand to enter Swaziland!

Fortunately Swaziland isn't a critical part of my itinerary but these extra semi hidden costs can easily outweigh any savings in the headline cost of car hire.

5. Re: Vehicle rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:16